Name Question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
xiv014

Name Question

Post by xiv014 »

My father and I have the same first name, but different middle names. Will that cause any problems for either one of us if we both intend on applying for Italian citizenship under jure sanguinis? I have heard you cannot have the same name as a parent.

For example:

Richard Jonathan Frongello (me)
Richard Anton Frongello (dad)

Thanks,

Tom
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: Name Question

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Who told you that? I dont believe thats the case. So many people are named after a parent. That would be a ridiculous law. Ive never heard of it. Try contacting the consulate and see what they say
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Tom and welcome,

I think you will be fine since you don't share the same middle name. :-)

Discussion of "same name" in this thread (includes information about Jr/Sr and numerical additions). There is a link in the thread to the actual law, and the translation of same provided by Carmine...

http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... names.html

T.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

My grandson has the same first, middle, last name as my son (no Jr. no II). It's not an Italian custom, but they will register you in the name that appears on your bc, no matter what it is.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Tessa78 wrote:Hi Tom and welcome,

I think you will be fine since you don't share the same middle name. :-)

Discussion of "same name" in this thread (includes information about Jr/Sr and numerical additions). There is a link in the thread to the actual law, and the translation of same provided by Carmine...

http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... names.html

T.
So sometimes it really is a problem when the name is the same? Why...just curious
xiv014

Post by xiv014 »

Thank you everyone!

- Tom
VittorioE
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VittorioE »

Trust me - it CAN cause problems...

There is a law in Italy that no child can have the EXACT same name as their LIVING father... However if you have different MIDDLE names you're set!

Another peculiarity is that Italy does not recognize Suffixes... like Roman Numerals or JR/SR - which is what I am going through - waiting to see if I need to change my name!!

Anyway - in your case - the different middle name is your saving grace.

VE
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Ciao Vittorio,

You'd think you could sight the old House of Savoy to help you on the Roman Numeral front, if memory serves they were all Umberto or Vittorio Emmanule. And they are still around, not sure if they use the roman numerals still or not though.

I wonder if the law against numerals isn't somehow related to republican sentiments after booting the Savoy's to the curb.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The numeral was added to the name only when the person became king.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Vittorio, I honestly don't think you'll have a problem.

This Circolare was issued in February, 2010. If I am reading it correctly, it states that the names of dual citizens born in foreign countries are to be registered in the name as it appears on their birth certificates and that no changes are necessary to conform to Italian rules.

I believe this circolare is designed to address the many ways in which naming customs in foreign countries differ from those in Italy. Apparently, naming customs are less important than the specific information on a legitimate birth certificate. This eliminates many problems because it is very difficult to change a birth certificate in Italy.

http://www.meltingpot.org/articolo15262.html
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

liviomoreno wrote:The numeral was added to the name only when the person became king.
So it wasn't really their name that had the numeral as much as the title. Now that I think about it, that would make sense as they rotated the names (VE 2, then Umberto 1, VE 3, Umberto 2). Does the current head of the house use the numeral?

Very interesting, Livio.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

ForzaItaliaPgh wrote:
liviomoreno wrote:The numeral was added to the name only when the person became king.
So it wasn't really their name that had the numeral as much as the title. Now that I think about it, that would make sense as they rotated the names (VE 2, then Umberto 1, VE 3, Umberto 2). Does the current head of the house use the numeral?

Very interesting, Livio.
No, he is simply Vittorio Emanuele di Savoia.