Unresponsive comune, its been almost a year!!!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Unresponsive comune, its been almost a year!!!

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Stella Cilento in Salerno, Campania is impossible. Ive contacted them through every way, shape and form on 3 different people several times over a year and niente! I was told months ago to contact I guess who would be the mayor and the head county clerk. I emailed them both months ago, still nothing. What should I do? I dont need the info for the consulate but just to obtain another generation of family for my genealogy records. the town isnt on micro film either
corrado
Elite
Elite

Re: Unresponsive comune, its been almost a year!!!

Post by corrado »

Did you try the two daling ladies in Salerno, That is what I do when I can't get anwhere with the comune like Rocco Pieomonte. The problem is getting a italian money order for 4.85 euros....
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

They won't respond to email because there is really no proof who is sending it. Write them a snail mail letter.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

They do respond to email. It depends on the comune. Ive gotten documents before through email. And I have tried snail mail, lol! They just dont answer
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

The only way I've gotten any Consulate to respond to an email is if they talked to me on the phone first.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

If I recall I believe there is a law requiring italian communes to respond to written request. Not unlike our own laws here pertaining to government workers. I believe I read this in a post about a consulate and them responding. I think it applies to all government workers for italy. So what I am saying is send it by snail mail
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

jennabet wrote:The only way I've gotten any Consulate to respond to an email is if they talked to me on the phone first.
Im not talking about a consulate. Im talking about a town in Italy.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

sceaminmonkey wrote:If I recall I believe there is a law requiring italian communes to respond to written request. Not unlike our own laws here pertaining to government workers. I believe I read this in a post about a consulate and them responding. I think it applies to all government workers for italy. So what I am saying is send it by snail mail
Again, I already tried through the mail. Ive tried through higher officials knowing that they are required to answer and still they dont
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

have you sent it registered mail? is there such an italian version of it? and have you called or had someone call for you?
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

The Italian version of Registered mail is called "Recomendata".
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I dont have anyone to call for me. Im quite disgusted with the whole situation. They have no excuse as to why they should ignore me for almost a year
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

As you may have read, I have had the same problem with my paternal grandparents' comune, Roccasecca FR (try searching posts with "roccasecca"). Contrast this with my maternal grandparents' comune, Malvito CS, which has been extremely heplful and always responds to my requests in 3 weeks or less.

I have no advice, other than to consider hiring someone local to do the dirty work for you. Think ricbru, liviomoreno, suanj, ...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Hey Carminucci, LOL! I do remember reading about your situation. I was hoping you would have had some luck and a new route for me to take. Oh well. Did you get someone to do your dirty work?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The two documents I absolutely needed, my grandfather's birth and marriage certificates, were obtained for me by a wondeful American woman living in Italy and pursuing her own jus sanguinis case. I met her on another board and reached out to her hoping that she might make a telephone call on my behalf. Instead, she drove to Roccasecca and waited while the stato civile official did his job.

Other than that, I have tried Express Mail, regular Air Mail, and e-mail to both the stato civile office and directly to the mayor, all without ever receiving a single response of any kind.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I had no trouble whatsoever receiving letters from the official at Comune di Platania, Catanzaro Calabria. But then I was writing to him in September and October and told him I hope he's enjoying the new olives and the new wine.