Question of Naturalization Index

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Question of Naturalization Index

Post by elecar »

I have an Naturalization Index Record which says under :

Comment - Expatriated

Does this mean Naturalization was just denied or that he was deported?
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Question of Naturalization Index

Post by maestra36 »

As far as I know, a person who is expatriated had attained citizenship which he then relinquished either voluntarily or unvoluntarily. For one thing, he may have stopped having continuous permanent residence here in the U.S. If he formally renounced his U.S. citizenship, or chose to fight for a country which was fighting against the U.S., or if he committed an act of treason against the U.S., it is my understanding that all of these could constitute reasons for expatriation. Expatriates,as far as I know, were deported.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

http://supreme.justia.com/constitution/ ... nship.html

This website has a section on expatriation which you may want to read.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

From the article above for everyone's info-

Any naturalized person who takes (the) oath with mental reservations or conceals or misrepresents beliefs, affiliations, and conduct, which under the law disqualify one for naturalization, is subject, upon these facts being shown in a proceeding brought for the purpose, to have his certificate of naturalization cancelled. Moreover, if within a year of his naturalization a person joins an organization or becomes in any way affiliated with one which was a disqualification for naturalization if he had been a member at the time, the fact is made prima facie evidence of his bad faith in taking the oath and grounds for instituting proceedings to revoke his admission to citizenship
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I want to add that under the Expatriation Act passed in March of 1907- a naturalized American who returned to his homeland, and resided there for two years, proved his intent to abandon his U.S. citizenship.

Also a woman who was American born, and married a foreigner after this date, was forced to relinquish her U.S. citizenship. Such loss of naturalization by marriage was not repealed until 1922.

info from the Encyclopedia of American Civil Liberties, Vol 1, page 562
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by elecar »

maestro36:

Thank you very much for explaining this. I appreciate your help answering any questions I have posted.