Fortunato family of Philadelphia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ravenn

Fortunato family of Philadelphia

Post by ravenn »

Looking for info on Fortunato familiy of Philadelphia. Carmela Fortunato came to US and married Nicola Miceli. Her siblings: Joseph, John Teresa, Louise, another brother, possibly named Michael. Another sister named Eleanora did not come to Italy with Carmela and her siblings but stayed in Italy and married. Eventually one of her children Ermina did come to the US and married into the Tedesco family.

Any help is appreciated and thanks.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Fortunato family of Philadelphia

Post by VaDeb »

What kind of information are you looking for? Do you have ships manifests of their arrival? Have you found them on the US census? Do you have birth, death and marriage records? What year, approximately did the ancestor arrive.

Try and give us some more information of what you want so we can help you.

Debbie
trevisan2
Master
Master

Post by trevisan2 »

Ask Peter, he would know.

best reguards,
Trevisan2
Researching in the provincia di Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore, Cavalo, Fumane, Verona

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

ravenn wrote:Looking for info on Fortunato familiy of Philadelphia. Carmela Fortunato came to US and married Nicola Miceli. Her siblings: Joseph, John Teresa, Louise, another brother, possibly named Michael. Another sister named Eleanora did not come to Italy with Carmela and her siblings but stayed in Italy and married. Eventually one of her children Ermina did come to the US and married into the Tedesco family.

Hi there,

By any chance is this your family? This is per the 1910 Federal Census of Philadelphia, PA.

Nicholas Fortunato, born abt 1865, came to USA in 1887
Carmela (aka- Clara per 1910 census), born abt 1871, came to USA in 1889

Children
Tony
Nora
Otillo
Manilo
Silvio

Brother-inl-law John Fortunato, born abt 1885, came to USA in 1906

Please let me know.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
ravenn

Post by ravenn »

Unfortunately I do not have information on when Carmela came to the US and I have found several entries on ship's manifests at Ellis Island site for several different ages. So my information is sketchy. She was from Rocca Imperiale, Cosenza, Calabria and we know her mother brought 6 children to the US to 'marry them off'. They settled in Philadelphia where she married Vito Nicola Miceli, a tailor.

I'm thinking that the census information in the other post may be a connection! My grandfather was Tony, had brothers named Ottilio, Silvio, Manuel, sisters Adeline, and Eleanor!!!
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Unfortunately I do not have information on when Carmela came to the US and I have found several entries on ship's manifests at Ellis Island site for several different ages. So my information is sketchy. She was from Rocca Imperiale, Cosenza, Calabria and we know her mother brought 6 children to the US to 'marry them off'. They settled in Philadelphia where she married Vito Nicola Miceli, a tailor.
Does this mean you have found several Carmela's, but don't have enough information to identify which one is "yours"?
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

ravenn wrote:Unfortunately I do not have information on when Carmela came to the US and I have found several entries on ship's manifests at Ellis Island site for several different ages. So my information is sketchy. She was from Rocca Imperiale, Cosenza, Calabria and we know her mother brought 6 children to the US to 'marry them off'. They settled in Philadelphia where she married Vito Nicola Miceli, a tailor.

I'm thinking that the census information in the other post may be a connection! My grandfather was Tony, had brothers named Ottilio, Silvio, Manuel, sisters Adeline, and Eleanor!!!
Hi,

There is microfilm for the town of Rocca Imperiale, Italy. You can rent it at you local Family History Center.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

Also, I'll check to see if I see any Fortunato's getting married before 1915 in the Philadelphia Marriage Index. I have access to them.

I do believe that the family I mentioned from the 1910 census is your family. The children's names are the same as you mentioned. However, give me some more time and I'll see what else I can find on them.

The last thing I wanted to say is I have Tedesco in my family. They were from Santa Caterina dello Ionio in Catanzaro, Calabria. They too were in Philadelphia.

Have a good one
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

brujaojos wrote:
ravenn wrote:Looking for info on Fortunato familiy of Philadelphia. Carmela Fortunato came to US and married Nicola Miceli. Her siblings: Joseph, John Teresa, Louise, another brother, possibly named Michael. Another sister named Eleanora did not come to Italy with Carmela and her siblings but stayed in Italy and married. Eventually one of her children Ermina did come to the US and married into the Tedesco family.

Hi there,

I made a mistake, it was Nicholas Miceli not Nicholas Fortunato.

Nicholas Miceli, born abt 1865, came to USA in 1887
Carmela (aka- Clara per 1910 census), born abt 1871, came to USA in 1889

Children
Tony
Nora
Otillo
Manilo
Silvio

Brother-inl-law John Fortunato, born abt 1885, came to USA in 1906

Please let me know.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi there,

I went and searched the Philadelphia Marriage Index for you.

Nicola Miceli married Carmela Fortunato in Philadelphia, PA in 1890.

The marriage license #35946. The microfilm #1299855

What you do, is go to your nearest Family History Center, and rent the microfilm #1299855 for $3.50. When it the film comes in, scroll to the license #35946 and there should be the marriage license and marriage application. Copies range anywhere from 35cents to 50 cents.

This is much cheaper than trying to get a certificate from the City of Philadelphia.

Also, the other Miceli people in the list were the following:

Eleanora Miceli married Battafarano in 1913
Leonard Miceli married Battafarano in 1916
Rosina Miceli married Furgiuele in 1914
Teresina Miceli married McCaria in 1895

There are too many Fortunato's to list. I hope this is of some help

Smile!:)
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
whitehorse777

Post by whitehorse777 »

My Tedesco family travelled from Palermo to the US (settllin in NC and VA), so I am not sure if we are related?!! :(
Keep in touch
Charles