Occupation - Cissitrice? Lissitrice? Biffitrice?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Occupation - Cissitrice? Lissitrice? Biffitrice?

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Hello again, I'm here to beg. :D

I'm reading a marriage record from 1876. The woman is my bisnonna. I know from several of her children's birth records that she was a filatrice (spinner). However, on her marriage record she is listed as something else. It looks like Cissitrice or maybe Lissitrice. Biffitrice? The 3rd and 4th letters definately look like long s. And the "trice" part is very clear. The first letter is weird. Any ideas on what this occupation might be? It sure doesn't look like filatrice or levatrice, but what else could it be?

Thanks.
Donna Pellegrin
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Occupation - Cissitrice? Lissitrice? Biffitrice?

Post by brujaojos »

DonnaPellegrin wrote:Hello again, I'm here to beg. :D

I'm reading a marriage record from 1876. The woman is my bisnonna. I know from several of her children's birth records that she was a filatrice (spinner). However, on her marriage record she is listed as something else. It looks like Cissitrice or maybe Lissitrice. Biffitrice? The 3rd and 4th letters definately look like long s. And the "trice" part is very clear. The first letter is weird. Any ideas on what this occupation might be? It sure doesn't look like filatrice or levatrice, but what else could it be?

Thanks.
Hi Donna,

This website might help you with Italian Occupations.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Poin ... ljobs.html

Smile for me!:)
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Tessitrice!

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Tessitrice!

Weaver!

Sometimes you just need to go to the source. OK, so I talk to dead people. Sometimes they talk back. :wink:

Trish, I had it figured out before I saw your message, but thank you for the link. I have saved it to my favorites file for future reference. It should come in handy! (Tessitrice isn't on his list, BTW. I noticed that only the "male" versions of the professions are listed. Something to keep in mind. )

Thanks again,
Donna
Donna Pellegrin
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Thanks Trish, I linked it too...

I had a good laugh reading the "Abbracciatutto - Jack of All Trades" as an occupation...

Abbracciatutto - Abbraccia tutto..."it embraces all" or one who hugs all...

Donna,
Sometimes you just need to go to the source. OK, so I talk to dead people. Sometimes they talk back.
and if their spirits could see and hear us, they would be so proud that at least we are looking for them! Had a good laugh over this comment too...

Good day to both,
mfjp
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

you make the call:

cucitrice.....seamtress
filatrice......spinner
LEVATRICE...MID-WIFE
ricamatrice...embroidress
stiratrice......ironer, presser
tablitrice......tailor
tessitrice......weaver

good luck, juan