WORK FOR US GOVERNMENT.DO I LOSE CITIZENSHIP?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

WORK FOR US GOVERNMENT.DO I LOSE CITIZENSHIP?

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I am curious if I work for a government Institution, even state or local I.E a NYC cop. Will I lose my italian citizenship as it states on the website. I am not yet but will be enrolling in the academy soon.

Carmine you might be able to answer this since your son is In the military. AND CONGRATULATIONS ON HIS RETURN! you must be very proud of what he is doing over there!
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: WORK FOR US GOVERNMENT.DO I LOSE CITIZENSHIP?

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Ask "mler" also. I believe if you have access to confidential files and such in the government your not allowed. Im not sure if law enforcement falls under that category though. I hope not because my husband is a cop/ex-marine who, if Im approved, would like to file under me
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The website of the Ministero dell'Interno / Interior Ministry ( http://www.interno.it/mininterno/export ... rsion.html ) says:
Loss of citizenship

The Italian citizenship can be lost in the following cases

By explicit renunciation in the following cases:

•If the person resides abroad and holds another citizenship
•Upon the coming of age, if the person holds another citizenship and the Italian citizenship was acquired when the person was a minor following the naturalisation of his/her parents
•Upon the coming of age, following withdrawal of the adoption, if the person holds another citizenship

Automatically in the following cases:

•In case of withdrawal of the adoption on account of a fact chargeable to the adopted person
•In case the person does not comply with the Government’s order to quit either a public post or the military service in a foreign State
That last item is the one of interest. My impression is that this is enforced in only the most special of cases. But, I really don't have any specific info.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

carmine did your son lose citizenship for joining the Military?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Don't worry. This is a nonissue. Working for a government agency in the US is not a problem to Italy; nor is it a problem to the US if you worked for a government agency in Italy.

The only problem that could possibly arise is if you work for a government agency that requires you to hold a really top level security clearance. The US may ask you to give up your dual citizenship or to take a job that does not require that clearance.

Congratulations on soon becoming one of New York's Finest. As a NYC policeman, you do not need to hold a government clearance. If you some day wish to join their counterterrorism task force, that may be another story.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

sceaminmonkey wrote:carmine did your son lose citizenship for joining the Military?
The issue has not come up; if it should I am confidant he will do the right thing.

As an example of how much of a non-issue this subject must be (for US citizens, anyway) is the simple fact that at no time during the "application" process are you asked to name your employer, to state your occupation, etc. Further, while as an Italian citizen you have a legal responsibility to keep the Italian government informed of your current address and certain other data ( http://www.ambwashingtondc.esteri.it/Am ... /Anagrafe/ ), there is no requirement that you inform them when you change jobs.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

And to add to what Carmine says, many of us who have already obtained dual citizenship did so through an ancestor who served in the US military during either WWI or WWII. That question never came up, so I think it's safe to say that serving in another country's armed forces does not cause you to lose Italian citizenship.