DONT USE A SERVICE.USE A RESEARCHER OR DO IT YOURSELF

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

DONT USE A SERVICE.USE A RESEARCHER OR DO IT YOURSELF

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I just wanted to start this thread to encourage people to contact communes etc themselves. I used the service ICAP http://icapbridging2worlds.com/default.aspx AND I COULD NOT BE MORE UNHAPPY WITH THEM! they are slow unresponsive and give you bad information to get more money from you. they told me I needed my GGM naturalization record and charged 245 for it and told me later I didnt need it. they sent the wrong name to the commune of my GGF and would not have let me know. I only found out because I made them forward me the emails because they were so slow.its been since march! the telephone consultation was bulls*$& , the guy had no idea what he is talking about and they try to scam as much money from you as possible. another un trustworthy person IS carolyn Ugolini. she is a private researcher who is will not contact you after she has your money. eventually I got a response from her and my certificates but only a year later. I just wanted to let everyone learn from my mistakes. Since reading this forum in september I have went in and gotten all US certificates on my own and saved myself about 1000 bucks. I have made amendments on my own and gotten apostilles. I actually did those all on the same day. PLEASE LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES AND READ THIS FORUM AND IF YOU MUST HIRE SOMEONE TO CONTACT ITALY USE SOMEONE OFF THIS FORUM LIKE RICBRU ! he was great. the services are a scam!
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: DONT USE A SERVICE.USE A RESEARCHER OR DO IT YOURSELF

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Thanks for the heads up! I was always leery about using these services. I have hired a few genealogists and actually found myself to be more of a success than them. They are notorious for ignoring me, sending me wrong info, trying to convince me someone is a relative who isnt, etc. I honestly have to question where they get their knowledge from and "know how" because Ive had to teach them a thing or two.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Ive contacted Carolyn about 2-3 times over the last year and was ignored as well
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

you did not pay her did you?
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

She never told me if she would even help me or not. She asked for a bit of info and that was it
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

well I was stupid enough to pay her 60 bucks for two certificates. I received one and the other one was just located through another researcher. I just wrote an email saying someone else located it send me a copy
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I have to say in general I havent found someone yet that Im happy with. I just do it myself. What better person to research and value your family tree then yourself right? To them its business as usual, to me its my family, my ancestors that I came from. And when they screw it up or attempt to screw up my family tree I take it personally. Its my family whether I ever met them or not and they better not mess with that
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I agree completely and it is quite fulfilling to find some thing yourself. I will say again though I was very happy with Ricbru. he found what I wanted in five days and has constantly followed up with me. since I dont speak italian I would use him only for any italian certificate. I think these other citizenship things are a scam though.I am super pissed with ICAP
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Isnt ICAP very expensive? Are you still working with them?
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

no I have finally received my certificates that I did order through them except my ggm nat records. I will not use them for translations because they are a gip.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Well thats good. I thought maybe you were committed through some contract to let them finish the whole thing. Im so glad you told us about this!
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

O no! I would never use a contract. their prices were ridiculous. for each us vital record this is what they wanted to charge me. keep in mind exemplification is free and all you need to do is check the box on the order form.

We have reviewed your records and the prices are as follows:

1 NYC Certified Birth Certificate, with Exemplification $115.00

2 NYC Certified Marriage Records, for Foreign Use, Exemplified $120.00 each

2 NYC Death Records Certified, with Exemplification $115.00 each (unless an additional year needs to be searched for Filomena, it is 25.00 for each additional year)

All documents will then need to be sent to the New York County Clerk for notarization in order to get Apostille. The cost is 115.00

5 New York State Apostille $300.00

We will provide a 10% discount on future translation orders of the documents

Attached is the Order Form, we will return all documents to you via certified priority mail.

Thank you for your patience in receiving this quote.

Quote is valid for 30 days.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Holy crap!! I just got my g grandmas BC from the bronx with exemp for $20! $15 for certificate and $5 for exemp. What a rip off!
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

wait ! from where was it obtained? only the municipal archives charges for letters of exemplification.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

It was archives or "old records" dept. Anything before 1910 for the 5 boroughs is an archive and hers is from 1909.