This is a chore for the "big wigs" on this board,L

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

This is a chore for the "big wigs" on this board,L

Post by DeFilippis78 »

No one, I mean NO one, can find a census for my G grandfather. I know there are some people on here that can dig up documents that other people can never find. Ive asked you before but this time I have some additional info listed below:

1900 census
Beniamino Passaro
year of birth 1860 (but for the rest of his life he used the year 1862)
year of immigration 1892
he never naturalized
He should have been living in Jersey City but its possible it could be the surrounding area or even NYC.
Im not sure if he was married. I believe his first wife in Italy died, and he didnt meet my G grandmother yet until 1905. So its possible he had a second wife and kids I dont know about in between. At least thats what the family told me.

Anyone want to take a crack at this? Again...LOL!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: This is a chore for the "big wigs" on this boa

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Hi, Alicia.

I've forgotton the details; can you tell us more about the 1910 census? How is he indexed, spouse and children's names/ages, city/ward, etc.

PS: My son is on his way home from Afghanistan!
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Im so happy to hear about your son. You must be so happy Carmine! God bless you all!Hes he home for good?

As far as the 1910, its info is totally irrelevant to the 1900. He didnt marry my G grandmother till around 1905 and then from that point on had children. So before then its thought he was single and no children. But keeping in mind he was here from 1892 to 1905 WITHOUT a wife,that doesnt seem likely. Ive heard from some family that he DID have a wife in that time period but they dont know what happened to her. Possible a daughter named Christina. Im not sure though

See next post for 1910 specifics
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Heres the 1910 specifics. Im not sure of its the same though as far as address:

Jersey City Ward 5, Hudson, New Jersey, Enumeration District: 122

By the way, he was a junk dealer in his own business
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Alicia, do you have a copy of your great grandparents, marriage license?
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

No. Every outlet by me has been checked, every dept called and every church called. No one found anything. I even hired a genealogist who invested a lot of time into this and she found nothing. After talking to the town clerk they said that the time period he would have married did not have a law requiring they submit a document to the state. So Its possible for it to stay at church level and the state have no record. After calling the church that they must have married in (because all their children married there and older relatives said they married there) they couldnt find anything either. They told me being it was such a long time ago and they used real ink then, some records just kind of evaporate and cant be read.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Looked at the 1910 Census, with the address you listed...

This is what I found for family of "Benjamin Passaro", proprietor of junk shop.
wife Josephine, born in Italy, age 35, married 20 years
All the children were born in New Jersey, oldest is 16...

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5707 ... census.jpg

1910 United States Federal Census
about Benjamin Passaro
Name: Benjamin Passaro
Age in 1910: 46
Estimated birth year: 1864
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's name: Josephine Passaro
Home in 1910: Jersey City Ward 5, Hudson, New Jersey
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of immigration: 1890
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Benjamin Passaro 46
Josephine Passaro 35
Rose Passaro 16
Charles Passaro 5
Antonio Passaro 3
Joseph Passaro 2
As far as the 1910, its info is totally irrelevant to the 1900. He didnt marry my G grandmother till around 1905 and then from that point on had children. So before then its thought he was single and no children. But keeping in mind he was here from 1892 to 1905 WITHOUT a wife,
I'm a little confused...the 1910 Census says he is 41, first marriage, and married for 20 years...

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Tessa78 wrote:I'm a little confused...the 1910 Census says he is 41, first marriage, and married for 20 years...

T.
I wondered about that too and so decided that I must be looking at the wrong census.

But really, how many Beniamino/Benjamin Passaro's could there have been in Jersey City in 1910?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Carmine :-)
Heres the 1910 specifics. Im not sure of its the same though as far as address:

Jersey City Ward 5, Hudson, New Jersey, Enumeration District: 122

By the way, he was a junk dealer in his own business
The Census I posted above matches ALL of the above criteria...
I would be surprised if it wasn't the right Benjamin?Beniamino Passaro :-?

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

IF the above 1910 Census is correct...and

IF the child, Rose, was born in New Jersey in 1894 (age 16 in 1910)...and

If Josephine, his wife, married Beniamino in 1890 (20 years earlier according to the Census)... then

1 - They probably married in Italy
2 - Josephine arrived before 1894 (but of course those manifests have such little information we probably can't identify her :-( )

Just thinking out loud!!! :-D

T.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

It is the right family wrong info. Rose was born in Italy, Josephine didnt arrive until 1901 with her first husband. In 1900 Ben was either single or married to a second wife and in 1900 Josephine and Rose were still in Italy with the first husband. The whole census is a disaster with mistakes
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I know the whole thing is confusing. Ben came here in 1892. He was married in Italy but had no children and left. I was told he had a second wife and something happened to her. They lived in JC also. Meanwhile, Josephine was married to a man named Nicola in Italy and Rose was born there. They came here in 1901. Nicola died in NYC. Josephine met up with Ben in Jersey and they started having children in 1905.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

DeFilippis78 wrote:I know the whole thing is confusing. Ben came here in 1892. He was married in Italy but had no children and left. I was told he had a second wife and something happened to her. They lived in JC also. Meanwhile, Josephine was married to a man named Nicola in Italy and Rose was born there. They came here in 1901. Nicola died in NYC. Josephine met up with Ben in Jersey and they started having children in 1905.
Do you have all the records for this info? Josephine's maiden name and/or her previous married name would be helpful.
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Yes I have all records on it. I didnt list any of Josephines info because she is irrelevant to the 1900 census. She wasnt even here yet and when she did come, it was with her first husband and first daughter Rose in May 1901 and they settled in Manhattan but then the husband died later that year.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Rose is Bens step daughter. When he met Josephine she had Rose with her because she was a widow. Josephine and Bens first child together was Carmino (Charles) in 1905