BIG MYSTERY

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
hollygianfrancesco
Veteran
Veteran

BIG MYSTERY

Post by hollygianfrancesco »

Hi all,
I have a mystery. I am told Esposito means out of wedlock. One of my adds on a family tree seems to be a puzzle. his birth record says his mother was Maria and unmarried.
daddymuzza
Veteran
Veteran

Re: BIG MYSTERY

Post by daddymuzza »

Specific surnames were most commonly given to children who were orphans, illegitimate, or foundlings such as Esposito meaning exposed or Trovato, meaning found which identified the child for life as an abandoned child. This often caused shame and embarrassment to the child. After the Unification in 1865, this practice was no longer allowed.

Other common foundling names include:
Benvenuto - Welcome
Conforte - Comforted
Salvati - Saved
Brutto - Ugly
Sventura- Unfortunate
Aflitto - Afflicted

http://italiansurnames.blogspot.com/201 ... phans.html
if yer no fast yer last !!!
hollygianfrancesco
Veteran
Veteran

very interesting information
thank you
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

if Attilio was born in 1895 then why was Esposito included in his birth record?
The law that outlawed the practice of assigning foundling children surnames indicative of their illegitimacy or abandonment was not passed until 1928. Thus Attilio was given the surname Esposito, which derived directly from the Latin ex positum (literally "of this place").
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I have not been able to find records for Pietra Montecorvino.
The Registri dello stato civile di Pietramontecorvino (Foggia), 1809-1929, has been microfilmed by the Latter Day Saints. Go to www.familysearch.org, follow the links Library>LibraryCatalog>PlaceSearch, then type in Pietramontecorvino to view the film details. The films can be rented and viewed at the Family History Centers operated by the LDS. You can find the location of the FHC closest to you at the above website.
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I have a mystery. I am told Esposito means out of wedlock. One of my adds on a family tree seems to be a puzzle. Attiliio Costantino , his birth record says his mother was Maria Consoletti in Pietra Montecorvino Foggia Puglia. His birth or adoptive father, Fulgenzio Costantino...
I'm confused. Your ancestor was Attilio Costantino, son of Fulgenzio Costantino and Maria Consoletti? Where does the surname Esposito come in? You refer to a birth record. Is it possible to post this record?
John Armellino
hollygianfrancesco
Veteran
Veteran

I am waiting for the copy
tinagrenier
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tinagrenier »

hollygianfrancesco wrote:if Attilio was born in 1895 then why was Esposito included in his birth record?
It should be clarified that just because someone had the last name Esposito, it does not necessarily mean that they were illegitimate or abandoned at birth. It could have been their grandfather, great-grandfather or much further back in the family line before you find the original ancestor who was given the surname Esposito due to being an illegitimate or abandonded baby. There is much written about these surnames, and illegitimate children in general that does not apply in all situations.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I am not certain of the question, but don't forget that once given the name Esposito, it typically remained that child's surname forever unless the child was legally adopted. Hence, in modern Italy, the surname Esposito is so common as to turn this map almost entirely black: http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/gen ... e=ESPOSITO

Perhaps Attilio's natural father was an Esposito? And, Attilio was later adopted by a Costantino?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
hollygianfrancesco
Veteran
Veteran

No, I will take a look.
hollygianfrancesco
Veteran
Veteran

repeat post
hollygianfrancesco
Veteran
Veteran

OH WOW! I got the LDS individual records all the kids had the middle name Esposito.
How can I go further back?
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

The link did not work on family search for pietramontecorvino
I just checked the FamilySearch site and the links are working. First go to www.familysearch.org. There is a blue navigation bar near the top -- place your cursor over the link "Library" and a menu will drop down. Then click on the LibraryCatalog link. You will be directed to a new page with a series of links to the right -- click on the link "Place Search". Then type in "pietramontecorvino" -- you will directed to another page. Then follow the following links in succession:

"Italy, Foggia, Pietramontecorvino"
"Italy, Foggia, Pietramontecorvino - Civil registration"
"Registri dello stato civile di Pietramontecorvino (Foggia), 1809-1929"
"View Film Details"
John Armellino
hollygianfrancesco
Veteran
Veteran

deleted
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

When you reach the page that reads (first line)...

Title: Registri dello stato civile di Pietramontecorvino (Foggia), 1809-1929

...you will find a button at the upper right corner of the page labelled "View Film Notes" -- click on this button.
John Armellino