Pronunciation of the name Leone

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Pronunciation of the name Leone

Post by DebiHarbuck »

How would a southern Italian (Craco, Matera) pronounce the surname Leone? I am having some difficulty locating marriage and census records for the children of my Leones after they left their parents' home and need some more ideas of alternate/phonetic spellings.
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Pronunciation of the name Leone

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Thanks, Carmine!
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

DebiHarbuck wrote:Thanks, Carmine!
Car-MEE-nay. Roll the "r". :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Good to know! :)

That site is wonderful, by the way. For those that don't speak Italian at all (like me!) it's a huge help to know how a native speaker would pronounce names and places. Not just to know how a name might have been transcribed but also to figure out why some Italian names were Americanized the way the were (for instance, I now understand why a brother named Ciro was known to the children as "Uncle Jerry"). :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Leone is pronounced...

Lay-own-eh

"Lee" would be the sound that begins "limone"
:-)

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Tessa78 wrote:
Leone is pronounced...

Lay-own-eh

"Lee" would be the sound that begins "limone"

T.
Of course. I typed Lee when I meant Lay. :oops:

As to the final syllable, my impression is that "nay" vs. "neh" is perhaps regional? I can find many examples of the "ne" syllable being pronounced either way.
Carmine

DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Thanks, Tessa. :) I will try several spelling variations. This one really has me stumped.

I have Andrea (Andrew, Andy) Leone b. 3 Aug 1897, in the 1900 & 1910 census with his parents (Domenico & Vincenza) and I have his WWI draft card from 1918 (married, but his wife isn't named...just "wife'). In the 1930 census, his oldest 2 daughters are living with their maternal grandmother (Stella Blumetti)..and in 1931 he married his second wife, Elizabeth Zucco. BUT, no sign him so far in the 1920 or 1930 census...and no record located for the first marriage. It's a puzzler.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Debi :-)

Where did the marriage to Elizabeth Zucco take place?

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Zucco Elizabeth M Apr 21 1931 Manhattan 9227

Leone Andrea Apr 21 1931 Manhattan 9227
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Manhattan, Tessa, which is also where Andrea was born.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

What Peg said! :)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

maybe this is a possibility but it is not cross referenced with the bride's index

Leone Andrea Jul 15 1916 Manhattan 26813
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Yes, I saw that and was thinking the same thing...

Certainly living in Manhattan within that time according to the WWI card...

T.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

It's a definite possibility and is on my 'to order' list.