ponessa family in Sorbo San Basile

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nancyluhrs

ponessa family in Sorbo San Basile

Post by nancyluhrs »

My grandparents and their ancestors are all from Sorbo San Basile.
I have some information on them, but am looking for more.
Can anyone help?
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: ponessa family in Sorbo San Basile

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I have family from calabria with the last Paonessa. They are from Gimigliano which is a bordering town of Sorbo San Basile. Are you sure you have the correct spelling because Paonessa is one of the most common surnames in that area
nancyluhrs

Post by nancyluhrs »

yes I am positive of the spelling. I am aware of the name Paonessa, there are people by that name also in Sorbo, but it is not my family.
thanks anyway
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognom ... abria.html

I checked this site and Ponessa is actually a surname from this region. I guess its a different variation of spelling
Russo Family

Post by Russo Family »

Hello

I have a Guiseppe Paonessa in my family tree, my Mom's Mom's Dad who came here to Pittsburg through Niagara Falls and died there before 1920 but after 1908. My Grandmother Josephine (Guiseppina Giovanna) Paonessa Russo born in 1920 and her Mom Maria Russo Paonessa came here in 1920. They left two other daughters Concetta and Marianne in Gimigliano. Concetta remained there. Marianne came here to Connecticut and got married. Please let me know if you think we are related. Steven LaPidus