Surnames: Canto & Di Persio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Surnames: Canto & Di Persio

Post by TriciaFierro »

I am searching for information on the husband's of my great-grandmother Mary Maimone (maiden name). She was married and widowed 3 times. Her first marriage was to Antonio Canto in 1909 (1/01 was the date of the marriage license). Her third marriage was to Camillo Di Persio in 1918 (5/09 was the marriage license date). The story that I received was that she married Antonio at 15 however 1909 puts her at 14 since she was born in 1895. He was from Italy but I don't know where (she was born in Birdsboro, Pennsylvania). He passed away and I don't believe that she had any children with him. She then married his brother, Seraphinoi Canto. She had two Canto children and I believe that both were from Seraphine, Dominick and Rose. Dominick might have been from Antonio, but Seraphino was Rose's father. I ahve noe information on the Canto's at all other than the marriage license to the first and the fact that I believe they were miners and died of tuberculosis (one def did). Her third husband was Camillo DiPersio whom she married in 1918. He was a tailor but I have no idea where he came from in Italy. He was born in 1883 and died in Pennsylvania living much of his life in Birdsbro, PA. They had three children together, Anna (Anne), Stella and John. All are now deceased. Any information you might have on the Canto brothers or DiPersio is appreciated. I did find something interesting in the 1920 Census when I was researching the Maimone family (my great-granmother's family) and that is that they had neighbors with the name Canto. I am assuming that this is how she got married off so young to a Canto from Italy. I am guessing it was one of the neighbors relatives. :?
thank you!
- Tricia
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Surnames: Canto & Di Persio

Post by suanj »

I found a Antonio Canto or Cantò( abt 1883) born in Cepagatti( Pesacara province, Abruzzo region, IT) imm. in 1905:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Antonio Canto
Name: Antonio Canto
Arrival Date: 12 May 1905
Birth Year: abt 1884
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Madonna

joining at friend Giovanni D'Alessandro in Philadelphia, PA;
and a Serafino Canto( or Cantò with accent) also coming from Cepagatti:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Serafino Canto
Name: Serafino Canto
Arrival Date: 24 May 1906
Birth Year: abt 1889
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Germania

in travel with brother Luigi and joining at brother Antonio in Philadelhia;
Luigi and Serafino, made another trip in 1913; Luigi left the wife Adele, and Serafino, single, left the father Domenico in Cepagatti; this time they joining at brother Camillo in Philadelphia, PA:
Philadelphia Passenger Lists, 1800-1945
about Serafino Canto Name: Serafino Canto
Arrival Date: 15 Jan 1913
Estimated birth year: abt 1890
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: America
Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Friend's Name: Camillo Canto
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Cpayatt, Italy

Camillo Canto or Cantò arrived in USA in 1909:
Philadelphia Passenger Lists, 1800-1945
about Camillo Canto Name: Camillo Canto
Arrival Date: 27 Dec 1909
Estimated birth year: abt 1886
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Taormina
Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Friend's Name: Luigi Crog
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Ceperyatti, Italy

left Domenico, father in Cepagatti, and joining in Philadelphia at brother Luigi....
I believe that it could be referred at your Antonio and at your Serafino; in effects the first son of your Antonio was Domenick as the first name of Canto brothers father that I found...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

That the above records are rights it is probable, because, Camillo( b. 15 May 1885) in 1920 lived also in Birdsboro:

1920 United States Federal Census
about Cammello Canto
Name: Cammello Canto
Home in 1920: Birdsboro West Ward, Berks, Pennsylvania
Estimated birth year: abt 1886
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]
Spouse's name: Annunziota Canto
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of immigration: 1908
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Cammello Canto 34
Annunziota Canto 25
Tony Canto 4
[4 11/12]
Adaline Canto 3
[3 3/12]
Mary G Canto 1
[1 7/12]

in 1930:
1930 United States Federal Census
about Camillo Canto Name: Camillo Canto
Home in 1930: Reading, Berks, Pennsylvania
View Map
Estimated birth year: abt 1887
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Annunceiti Canto
Race: White

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Camillo Canto 43
Annunceiti Canto 35
Antonio Canto 15
Adeline Canto 13
Grace Canto 11
Joseph Canto 10
Charles Canto 8
Albert Canto 6
Luigi Canto 4 1/12

your suggestions?
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Suanj,
Thank you so very much! This information is most helpful! And I believe that the Antonio that you found is in fact the Antonio that my great-grandmother took as her first husband because there was a large age difference. Family lore had it that she was 14 and he was 28, but this record if listing age accurately has him at 26 which is close. Also, I had no idea that Canto used an accent over the letter O so this will be helpful as well. Canto is not my bloodline because my grandmother was born from my great-grandmother's third husband Camillo Di Persio. She was Anna Rita DiPersio and I did find the US census records for Camillo DiPersio as well as WWI and WW2 draft registrations but no ship manifests or any info as to where he came from in Italy, his parents names, etc. The missing pieces of my great-grandmother's marriages to the Canto brothers is important in order for me to add her children accurately (Domenick I believe was born to Antonio and Rose was born to Seraphino). Thank you, thank you, thank you!
- Tricia
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Me too I cannot find the Camillo Di Persio arrival; the only was born abt in 1876, so no matching with 1883 birthyear of your Camillo Di Persio... however I believe that Brittoli town could be the birthplace..
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

I am going to do some deeper searches for Camillo Di Persio by altering his name a bit. I heard of many Di Persio surnames changing dramatically during immigration. I also plan to go to the courthouse and get as many of their naturalization records that are available which should prove most helpful.

I visited a cemetary today where many of my ancestors are buried and I actually saw Camillo Canto's tombstone. I believe that he may have been the neighboring family that was related to my great-grandmother's Antonio and Seraphino.

I was also able to locate my grandfather's (surname:Fierro) mother's shipping manifest also it's been a great day for research! :)

Thank you so much!
- Tricia
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Here is one that may be him: Camillo D' Prazio Born in 1883 immigrated in May 9, 1910. It notes he was farm labor even though I know he was a tailor but he may have learned that trade in later yrs before marrying or during his marriage to my great-grandmother. What are your thoughts on this one as a possiblity? In case the link below doesn't work it was the ship Neckar. Thank you!

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 1072%2ETIF
Tricia Fierro
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

TriciaFierro wrote:Here is one that may be him: Camillo D' Prazio Born in 1883 immigrated in May 9, 1910. It notes he was farm labor even though I know he was a tailor but he may have learned that trade in later yrs before marrying or during his marriage to my great-grandmother. What are your thoughts on this one as a possiblity? In case the link below doesn't work it was the ship Neckar. Thank you!

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 1072%2ETIF
the arrival is abt Camillo D'ORAZIO

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

OK, thank you! It was a shot in the dark but worth checking into :)
- Tricia
Tricia Fierro
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

I think that I found Camillo Di Persio's ship manifest: http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0101060006

Even though it looks as if it notes that he is 28 do you think this could have been 23? I recived Camillo's naturalization papers today and they note that he arrived 10/24/1906 on the Virginia in New York. He was a tailor and single. This manifest all matches the info I have for him with the exception of the fact that he was born in 1883 not 1878. That's why I am wondering if the 28 could be a 23 which would put him in the right age for my great-grandfather. I also found from his papers that he was born and resided in Villa Oliverti, Basciano, Teramo in the Abruzzo region. You will see that this info also matches his manifest information. I think that we found a match!

And if so, then I believe that I also found the brother Andrea that this manifest states he was going to stay with in Norristown, Pa. On the manifest it notes his name as Gennero Andrea.
Here is that manifest:
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0465%2ETIF

What are you thoughts on these two manifests as matches for my great-grandfather, Camillo Di Persio and his brother Andrea? thank you! :)
- Tricia
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

this is the only Camillo DI PERSIO that I also found; the last residence was Rosciano in Pescara province and not Basciano, so (by naturalization papers) the residence was Villa Oliveti http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=it&q=rosc ... CBYQ8gEwAA
the age on the ship's manifest could be 23 really....
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

He actually wrote Villa Oliverti opn his Naturalization papers, but you believe it to be Villa Oliveti?

If so can it be assumed that Gennerro Andrea is his brothers manifest as well?

Thank you for your insight! :)
- Tricia
Tricia Fierro
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Tricia Camillo di Persio coming from Rosciano and not Basciano; and near Rosciano it is Villa Oliveti..

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Thank you! Having the residence and birth location will be helpful. You're the best! :)
- Tricia
Tricia Fierro
LaurenSherry

Post by LaurenSherry »

I know this is an old thread, but I am wondering if anyone ever found any more info on Camillo Canto? I believe his wife Annunziata may be my great-great grandmother's sister, based on her birth year and immigration year. Her Ellis Island record said she was going to her sister in Pottstown or Stowe, Pa which is where my great-great grandmother lived, but by the time the 1920 census was taken I figured Annunziata would have been married by then so it hasn't been easy to find out where she ended up. It may be a long shot, but Birdsboro isn't too far from Stowe.
Looking for- Bove, Santacroce, Vigliotti, Greco, Pascarella, Suppa, Carfora from Cervino, Caserta and surrounding area.