Any records for Garibaldi's Redshirts?

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Apples
Rookie
Rookie

Any records for Garibaldi's Redshirts?

Post by Apples »

I guess it is unlikely but I wondered if any records were kept of volunteers joining Garibaldi especially in 1860?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Any records for Garibaldi's Redshirts?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Not certain, but this might be the list you are looking for: http://www.sbc.altervista.org/1000.html
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Apples
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Apples »

Thanks Carmine - I think it probably is.
Looks like another family myth has been busted!
It would be nice if one day a family story turned out to be true - perhaps he fought with Garibaldi at an earlier date - it cannot have been later because he was in England by 1861.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Ciao Apples,

Garibaldi was fighting in Italy from the 1840's, so just b/c your ancestor wasn't part of the invasion of Sicily doesn't mean he didn't fight under Garibaldi. I know I've "busted" some family legends, only to later find they were true (if altered) after deeper research.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
choprjohn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by choprjohn »

Sorry to hi-jack your thread, but is there a similar list for the Black Shirts? Thanx in advance...Johnnie
Researching IEMMA, From Cittanova, Reggio Calabria, also YEMMA & AMIE from Syracuse NY
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Here there is a more detailed list with names, dates and places

http://www.a-mantova.com/storia/mille.htm

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
johnnyonthespot wrote:Not certain, but this might be the list you are looking for: http://www.sbc.altervista.org/1000.html
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

choprjohn wrote:Sorry to hi-jack your thread, but is there a similar list for the Black Shirts? Thanx in advance...Johnnie
I would think there would be a record of at least the members of the Fascist Party, if not of the members of the black shirts. Not sure how you'd find it though...
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I know those lists above are not complete, as I've seen a list which specifically had town residents from Menfi in Sicily, including some of my own ancestors, but that list does not seem to be available online anymore.
Pipesmoker

Post by Pipesmoker »

As a child (in the '50s) I was told that one of my ancestors was a member of Garibaldi's 1000. I seem to remember that he was also one of Garibaldi's lieutenants. This ancestor was Greek, and would have been one of the Ionides family, except that his surname wasn't Ionides. I did know his name, but have long forgotten it.

Have had a look through the lists kindly supplied above, but can't see a Greek name, or any Greek place of birth or residence. If anyone can identify a Greek member of the doughty Redshirts, I'd be grateful. Although families seem to be notorious for embellishing or inventing things about their ancestors (especially, I should guess, when a bit of romantic fighting legend is involved), there wasn't any great fuss about this chap, it was just mentioned as a firmly established family fact. The only thing that is clear to me from the accounts of Garibaldi's various campaigns is that a number of Greeks did join in with him - but so did a great number of different nationals. It's very possible that my ancestor joined Garibaldi at the time he aided the Greeks against the Turks.
sjwilly

Post by sjwilly »

The Torino archives has a searchable database of appx. 35,000 of the soldiers that served under Garibaldi:

http://archiviodistatotorino.benicultur ... search.php

http://archiviodistatotorino.benicultur ... baldini-en