Samuel Villanti from Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gminfla
Rookie
Rookie

Samuel Villanti from Sicily

Post by gminfla »

I'm trying to find any information on my great uncle Samuel Villanti's father whose name was "Samuel Valenti" (wife "Mamie") on the 1920 Census Record. I was told he came from Sicily. After searching the Ellis Island site, I am not able to find his immigration record. He may have had to register for WWI since he was born about 1880 and his first son Antony was born in America in 1904 (my uncle Sam was born in America in 1911). Please advise. Thank You.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Re: Samuel Villanti from Sicily

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Does this draft card look like a possibility?

http://postimage.org/image/1t28o2rj8/
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

The name 'Sam' was often a nickname for Salvatore. Try your search that way. :D
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

What would be the Italian name for someone called "Samuel"? Salvatore?

http://postimage.org/image/1t3apfqw4/
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

DebiHarbuck wrote:What would be the Italian name for someone called "Samuel"? Salvatore?

http://postimage.org/image/1t3apfqw4/
Actually, Samuele. http://www.nomix.it/700s.php
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

If Salvatore is a possibility, here's one with an earlier arrival than the first I posted:

http://postimage.org/image/1t4rmmup0/
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

My concern is about the many spelling possibilites for the surname. Both Villanti and Valenti are reasonably common Italian names, for example. Which one is correct? That is the question...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Well, here's a manifest for a young Antonio, coming to his father Salvatore...how certain are you that your 'Antony' was born in the US?

http://postimage.org/image/1t5ymlvj8/

(I cannot make out the mother's name.)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

The 1920 census says Samuel, Mamie, and son Anthony (born 1904) all immigrated in 1905. Are we sure this is the correct census?
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

1920 census:

Carmine

gminfla
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gminfla »

DebiHarbuck wrote:Does this draft card look like a possibility?

http://postimage.org/image/1t28o2rj8/
Yes, that is my great uncle's Father. Thanks.
gminfla
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gminfla »

johnnyonthespot wrote:The 1920 census says Samuel, Mamie, and son Anthony (born 1904) all immigrated in 1905. Are we sure this is the correct census?
Yes, I am positive this is the correct census record, although I cannot read the posted document. Thank You.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

gminfla wrote:
johnnyonthespot wrote:The 1920 census says Samuel, Mamie, and son Anthony (born 1904) all immigrated in 1905. Are we sure this is the correct census?
Yes, I am positive this is the correct census record, although I cannot read the posted document. Thank You.
Click the thumbnail in my post above. It will open in another window. Now, click anywhere on the image in the new window and it should get markedly larger. Use the scrollbars to move around the image.

If you wish to save a copy to your PC, while in the enlarged view, right-click on the image and select "Save Picture As..." (for Internet Explorer) or "Save Image As..." for FireFox.
Carmine

DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

gminfla wrote:
If the census Carmine posted for 1920 is correct, than Anthony was NOT born in the US in 1904. He was born in Italy and the passenger list I posted above for him and his mother is likely the right one. :)
gminfla
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gminfla »

DebiHarbuck wrote:
gminfla wrote:
If the census Carmine posted for 1920 is correct, than Anthony was NOT born in the US in 1904. He was born in Italy and the passenger list I posted above for him and his mother is likely the right one. :)
You are correct, thank you very much.