marriage info

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

marriage info

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Here's what I know: My Great Grandfather was Giuseppe D'Aveni and he was born in Novara di Sicilia on December 16th 1866 to Salvatore ( b. 1822) and Rosalia Di Salvo (b. 1830) I am looking for their birth and marriage certificates. I have contacted the Archivio di Stato di Messina and they have responded that they have nothing on them. I do know that Salvatore and Rosalia had at least 2 sons who here born in Novara di Sicilia. Does anyone have ANY ideas as to where to go next? I am at a loss. I have also been emailing/writing the stato civile in Novara since this past March and they have not responded! ANY thoughts/ideas are appreciated greatly!
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: marriage info

Post by maestra36 »

There are microfilmed records for the town from 1820 to 1910. If I were you, I would rent a roll of microfilm through a local family history center. Reading these will not be easy, but you may get lucky and find the records for which you are searching. There may or may not be indexes on these films.

Registri dello stato civile di Novara di Sicilia (Messina), 1820-1910

https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Orderi ... ory_Center

For any records pre 1820 in Sicily, you have to contact a church. Civil records in Sicily only started in 1820.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The other thing is-do you have a copy of Giuseppe's 1866 birth record? If you found that record on microfilm, it may have the towns where the parents were from, if they were not from Novara
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

http://www.comune.novara-di-sicilia.me.it/

This is the town's official website. It is in Italian.

Ufficio Anagrafe
Comune di Novara di Sicilia
Via G.Sofia N°1
98058 Novara Di Sicilia (Me)
Italy

The above is the town's mailing address. Is this the address you used to mail for info? did you write in Italian or in English?
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

ufficioanagrafe@comune.novara-di-sicilia.me.it (no spaces in the email address)

this is the email address for the town's anagrafe or registry office which would house the records for which you are searching. Have you tried this email address?
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Thank you for replying! Yes, that is the email and address that I have used and I wrote in Italian. I have a copy of Giuseppe's brother Antonio's birth act from 1862---I'm not sure what the document is called--but it's the handwritten one signed by the mayor--with two columns--and the right column is the baptismal information. I am sorry but even thought I've been trying to do this for several months I get confused as to the difference between the certificate and the extract and everything. Anyway--Giuseppe's birth info that I have is just a half-sheet of paper with basic name and date. It does have parents names but not their birthdates or the town where they were from. Then is that the extract that I have? Also, on Antonio's birth info it reads, "Parroco di Novara"....does that translate to "the Parish of Novara?" Or is that the name of the Church possibly? Also, Antonio's birth info reads, "comune di Novara, Distretto di Castroreale." Should I be contacting Castroreale instead? Thanks again for all your help with this! It's hard and confusing--but rewarding!
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Parroco means parish priest. The word parrochia means parish.

If the record you have for Antonio is an extract, the word estratto would be on the record near the top. Possibly the information for which you are searching concerning the parents is in Antonio's record. Is there any way you can upload a copy of that birth record for me or someone else on the forum to read? The parents' ages should be given in Antonio's birth record. You won't get their dates of birth in any of the children's birth records but, if you get their ages, you can then estimate their years of birth. Also information about what town they may have been from may very well in the birth record section (on the left) of Antonio's record.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Ufficio Anagrafe
Comune di Castroreale
Piazza Pertini
98053 Castroreale (ME)
Italy

It would be faster to try to contact that office via email first, but so far I can't find an email address for that office.
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Thank you! I will try to scan Antonio's birth info that I have--parts of it are very hard to read--but it just states "Atto di Nascita" at the top. Yes--I gives the ages of his parents--that's how I was able to find the years of birth for his parents. It also states, "domiciliato in Novara" but then what does Castroreale have to do with it? I know the two towns are really close---did one go to Castroreale to "present" the birth of a child to the mayor? That's why I thought, because Antonio was born 4 years before Giuseppe-that the parents might have been married in Castroreale as the Archivio di Stato said that they didn't have anything on them for Novara. OY! I feel like my head is about to explode!
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Well, before your head explodes, upload the document for us to look at and then we'll take it from there. There may be a clue in the parts you can't read, at least that is what I am hoping for.
Peg
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

OK! I'll do that a little later today! Thanks so much!