Looking for great great Grandparent from genoa or genova?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
matbre2

Looking for great great Grandparent from genoa or genova?

Post by matbre2 »

Whilst tracing my English and predominately Irish background I have found this link in Irish genealogy:

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... a581381360

The family have always said that we had Italian Blood somewhere and that My great great grandparent Joseph Bailo was a merchant seaman in the Italian navy.
The link above states that his Ship was called "Vindex" and on his marriage in Dublin in 1876 his father was called Salvator Bailo.

Not being able to speak Italian let alone read it, where would I go next to trace my 3 times Grandparent etc?

I know that they came from Genoa or is it Genova in the North West of Italy and that Joseph was born around 1850 and that his father probably 1830 ish.

Are there any church records online? If so, are they subscription sites?
Or can I use the UK websites that I am currently subscribed to?
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Re: Looking for great great Grandparent from genoa or genova

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Did Joseph and Mary have a Child called Giorgina? If so, MARY ANNE GILLIN was living with them in 1911.

I would sign up with Damily Search and get this record =883830:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... chaplaincy.++

View the film at your local family history centre and search for Salvatore's birth.

J Capaldi
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

FYI,

"Genoa" and "Genova" are the same city. "Genova" is the Italian spelling, "Genoa" the English spelling. "Genoa" is also the spelling in the local dialect.

Ciao.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

In the local dialect it is "Zena"
"Genoa" is the name of one of the football (soccer) team of Genova.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

liviomoreno wrote:In the local dialect it is "Zena"
"Genoa" is the name of one of the football (soccer) team of Genova.
Livio,

Interesting, I had heard (incorrectly) otherwise :oops:

Thanks for the correction, though! :) You learn something everyday!!

Any idea on how "Zena" became "Genova" in standard Italian?
matbre2

Post by matbre2 »

jamiecapaldi wrote:Did Joseph and Mary have a Child called Giorgina? If so, MARY ANNE GILLIN was living with them in 1911.

View the film at your local family history centre and search for Salvatore's birth.

J Capaldi
Short answer YES! Georgina Bailo married a David Power and yes Mary Anne Bailo nee Gillen was 59 in 1911 and was a widow living with them in Clondalkin DublinIreland. At the time they had 2 children but were eventually to have 3 more daughters of which one was my Grandmother.

I have all those details as I am subscibed to a couple of UK websites.
However I am more concerned with going back to Joseph and his dad salvator and finding out how I can trace them and their roots.

As for trying to view at my local family history centre, it is a bit hard as I live in South Australia........not Ireland, England or Italy.

Thank you for trying to help though. :)
matbre2

Post by matbre2 »

Thanks guys for the history of the place Genova or should I say Zena, and I reckon that I got mixed up with the soccer team Genoa as I am a mad passionate football supporter........cheers!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

ForzaItaliaPgh wrote: Any idea on how "Zena" became "Genova" in standard Italian?
It is the other way round:
How "Genova" (which is the official name) became "Zena" in dialect...
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

liviomoreno wrote:
ForzaItaliaPgh wrote: Any idea on how "Zena" became "Genova" in standard Italian?
It is the other way round:
How "Genova" (which is the official name) became "Zena" in dialect...
Interesting. Grazie.
matbre2

Post by matbre2 »

jamiecapaldi wrote:Did Joseph and Mary have a Child called Giorgina? If so, MARY ANNE GILLIN was living with them in 1911.

J Capaldi
Apparently the said Joseph Bailo although married in Dublin in 1876 was still working on the ship "Vindex" and sailed into many ports around the world. I had a look at your link and found also that he had a child born and died in 1876 which he named Salvator, which he obviously named after his father.

My own father has just told that he has a log book entry for Joseph Bailo on the Ship "Vindex" and will post to me in due course. So it would appear that Joseph Bailo was an Italian Merchant Seaman who sailed the world whilst his wife raised their family of which one was named Georgina Bailo who later married my Great Grandfather David Power in Clondalkin Dublin Ireland hence my links with Italian ancestry as well as Irish.
CarolHickey

Re: Looking for great great Grandparent from genoa or genova?

Post by CarolHickey »

I don't know if you are still interested but I am the daughter of James Power who was the son of David Power. I don't know much about the history of my family but returned from Genoa yesterday.
matbre2

Post by matbre2 »

Hi Carol, sorry for late reply. Time goes so fast these days. Your father James Power used to live in Rochdale yes? My Grandmother was Georgina Power who married Andrew Kelly. My father Charlie is the eldest of eight and he turned 84 last sunday. My parents emmigrated to Australia in 1969 so we have been here 48 years now. I am the eldest of six and was nine and a half when we came here. I have even reunited my mum with a branch of her family in the USA and they used skype. So if you would like to connect I am matbre2 on skype.
cheers
Dermot Kelly
matbre2

Post by matbre2 »

By the way Carol, I have published our family history in a small book. I have a photo of your father my grandmother and their sisters, all with David Power himself. It is a lovely photo taken in the 50's. My Dad was and still is very fond of his Grandfather Power and has his photo of him standing outside the cottage in clondalkin by the side of his bed. So yes i have some photo's and stories to swap and am very interested to catch up. Thank you for contacting me and sorry for being so late in replying.
mariao

Post by mariao »

Dear Dermot
I am the great great granddaughter of Joseph Bailo. I have lots of information that you might be interested in! We were reared in the old house in Mill View, Clondalkin, which just today opened as a local heritage centre!! I am still living in Clondalkin. If you don't mind passing on your contact details to me I'd love to keep in touch. We still have one uncle left, Uncle Sean in Cork, and he is the last surviving child of Thomas O'Connor and Mary Bailo who was the daughter of Joseph. He would be a fantastic person to talk to if you are interested in family stuff. He was also a sailor, in the Irish Merchant Marine. And my father, Joe was a sailor in the British Merchant Marine during WW2. I remember Gina and her husband visiting from Rochdale many years ago. And there are also Bailos in Edinburgh although I tried contacting them years ago without any luck. Anyway, hope all is well with you and your family. Let me know if you want to get in touch. My email is mariao53@hotmail.com but no pressure. Keep well, and take care.

Maria O'Connor
Fablouise

Post by Fablouise »

Well it seems I am arriving late to the Bailo family reunion! Hello everyone, my name is Louise Ryan, daughter of Catherine "cathy" O connor and granddaughter of George O Connor, who was a son of Mary Bailo and Thomas Connor who married in 1914. Granddad was head of roadstone in Arklow Co Wicklow and married Margaret "Peg" O Connor, my nana.
It seems we are all connected. I have added Georgina Power and Andrew Kelly to my widely growing timeline and family tree.
I was just chatting with my mam about Patricia power who worked for Cybil Connoly who was a famous dress designer in Dublin. It seems that granny o connor AKA Mary Bailo (daughter of Giuseppe bailo and Mary gillen) crocheted lace collars for the dresses in Mrs connoly's shop.

Anyway, I am getting distracted! I was wondering has anymore info come to light on the Bailos? In my family it has been passed down that Joseph "Giuseppe " bailo came to Ireland as he was a skilled stone mason and was brought over to cut stone for a small church in Dublin.

I'd love to hear from you all, best regards, Louise