Parents' Ages on Birth Certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Parents' Ages on Birth Certificate

Post by Gianna75010 »

Does the consulate check the ages of parents on birth certificates to see if they match up with their birth dates? It would require them to actually calculate the age because the parents' birth dates not listed on their child's birth certificate. I just noticed that the ages of the parents on my granfather's birth certificate are not correct. Has the consulate ever required the ages of parents on birth certificate to be amended?
mler
Master
Master

Re: Parents' Ages on Birth Certificate

Post by mler »

I think they are more interested in the year than the stated age. Sometimes the problem is age is that Italians consider age differently from the way we do in the US. We say "I'm 20 years old." They say, "I'm 21." The reasoning is that our 20 year old is, for them, someone in the 21st year.
Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Parents' Ages on Birth Certificate

Post by Gianna75010 »

Hopefully, they won't look at the ages because they are way off. The mother is listed as 30 and the father as 32 when in fact the mother was actually 7 years OLDER than the father. The father should have been about 28 and the mother 35. They probably just lied about their ages to seem closer in age!!!