Had an email conversation with a Priest in Catania....

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Had an email conversation with a Priest in Catania....

Post by JPMessina44 »

On a whim, I thought I would give it a shot because the city and comuni is taking a little while to get back to me RE: birth records for my great grandpa whom I am going thru....I looked up all churches in Sant'Antonio, where I think he was born asking for baptism records.

Father Salvatore Coco actually responded 1 day later! It's amazing across the world, and the little Italian I speak, you can have an email conversation with a priest from a tiny comune in sicily...Catania is large, Sant'Antonio is not.....

He doesnt have any documents from earlier than 1929 was his response (great grandfather was born in 1888), but he had recommended a few other churches and contact names to use.....

Although I didnt find what I was looking for this time, I am just shocked and in awe that a Priest would get back to me via email so quickly!!

I had to share!!
Squigy
Master
Master

Re: Had an email conversation with a Priest in Catania....

Post by Squigy »

JPMessina44 wrote:On a whim, I thought I would give it a shot because the city and comuni is taking a little while to get back to me RE: birth records for my great grandpa whom I am going thru....I looked up all churches in Sant'Antonio, where I think he was born asking for baptism records.

Father Salvatore Coco actually responded 1 day later! It's amazing across the world, and the little Italian I speak, you can have an email conversation with a priest from a tiny comune in sicily...Catania is large, Sant'Antonio is not.....

He doesnt have any documents from earlier than 1929 was his response (great grandfather was born in 1888), but he had recommended a few other churches and contact names to use.....

Although I didnt find what I was looking for this time, I am just shocked and in awe that a Priest would get back to me via email so quickly!!

I had to share!!
That is surprising. I contact people in Italy via email all the time and almost never get a reply. I did, however, get a letter from the town of Campobasso a little over a week after I emailed them. Like you, they didn't find what I was searching for.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

knock on wood, i've been having luck with emails lately....Buccheri, Siracusa and now the priest from Sant'Antonio contacted me back....if only Catania would answer my emails and letters for my ggpa birth, that would be fantastic!

Siracusa answered my great grandma birth email within 1.5 weeks and Father Coco answered in less than 24 hours....
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

JPMessina44 wrote:knock on wood, i've been having luck with emails lately....Buccheri, Siracusa and now the priest from Sant'Antonio contacted me back....if only Catania would answer my emails and letters for my ggpa birth, that would be fantastic!

Siracusa answered my great grandma birth email within 1.5 weeks and Father Coco answered in less than 24 hours....
Lucky! Some comuni haven't even responded to multiple letters from me. Ah beh.
My Italian surnames:

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Hey Messina, spread some of that luck from JC down to the shore here, LOL! How did you find out what churches to contact? I might try this route.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

I just went through wikipedia, found out the churches that are in Sant'Antonio (I think there were like 6 total), and I googled their websites, found contact information (email address') on their website for general questions and some of the smaller towns give the email address of the priest himself. I just picked two that I knew were older, and that we somewhat close to the center square.

Here, I'm electronically throwing some luck down to you.....

Just don't use too much casue I still need great grandfathers birth. It's awesome that two churches got back to me in less than 1 day from me emailing BUT still empty on the baptism and/or birth records from Catania! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Ok, let me try doing it too. Ill let you know if your "electronic luck" is any good, lol!!

Alicia
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Thanks a million for telling us to send that email!!! I got an awesome reply!! So excited!!

He said they were excited to hear from me, and that they are looking for my great grandfather's baptism record. He also said the priest would like me to email him more information about me and my Italian roots.

Thanks again for the idea :D !!
My Italian surnames:

JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

Squig - thats great news!! Im really happy for ya and glad to help out! Keep me posted with what happens.... :) :)
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

JPMessina44 wrote:Squig - thats great news!! Im really happy for ya and glad to help out! Keep me posted with what happens.... :) :)
Will do :D
My Italian surnames:

Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

I got another reply. They haven't found my gg grandfather's baptism record yet (it might be at another church, but this one matches my gg aunt's description so well). Anyway, in my last email I mentioned that I was interested in learning about the town's history, and now they offered to send me a package to help in my research (including literature from the town, and things like that).

I'm so glad I stumbled upon such a nice group of people!
My Italian surnames:

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Messina, your "electronic luck" aint working,lol! I contacted a priest and heard nothing

Alicia
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

DeFilippis78 wrote:Messina, your "electronic luck" aint working,lol! I contacted a priest and heard nothing

Alicia
I'm sorry, Alicia, I think I stole it :lol:

I contacted a couple churches in other comuni and got nothing back. I guess it all depends on how big the town is, and the one I got a reply from has around 50,000 people.

Sorry if it seems like I was bragging :oops:

The last thing I need right now is the evil eye :lol:
My Italian surnames:

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Squigy, malocchia to you, lol!!!
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

DeFilippis78 wrote:Squigy, malocchia to you, lol!!!
:lol: My family called it "the maloik" too (and the malocchio). My great grandmother was very superstitious about those things (she had the cornos and all that) and I guess that just got passed down to me.
My Italian surnames: