possible towns for a neopolitan

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
palmgps

possible towns for a neopolitan

Post by palmgps »

If my ancestor indicates that they were neopolitan, is there an area in Italy from which they might have come?
Would Basilicata be considered neopolitan?
Mary
oilman19
Master
Master

Re: possible towns for a neopolitan

Post by oilman19 »

Neopolitan - a resident of Naples
Naples, Napoli - a port and tourist center in southwestern Italy; capital of the Campania region
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

They could be from any one of the towns in the province of Naples.

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/063/index.html

Sometimes the last name helps to pinpoint town of origin and sometimes the ship's manifest list the town of birth. If you want to share more info with us we may be able to help. :D
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

My mothers family was from the Basilicata region and they called themselves Napolitano. Thats the dialect they spoke..and when people asked where they were from, they said "near Naples".

When I began genealogy..and took out the map of Italy..I actually chuckled.

So yes..they can be from Basilicata and called themselves Napolitano..because thats someplace that was recognized by people in the USA...and thats what most immigrants did..chose the closest city that people would recognize.
palmgps

Post by palmgps »

My grandmother told her daughter that she was Neopolitan. Her marriage certificate to her second husband states that she was born in Basilicata.
I am trying to determine from where in Italy my grandparents came

Donato Cirone (Ceroni, Cerrone, Girone, Ciorono)
born 3/13/1883 (Italy)
died 2/28/1918 (Derry, PA)

Camilla Cirone (father Mike Bruno, mother Mary Doroza)
born 3/17/1889??? (was 29 in 1918) Basilicata
died 3/16/1921 (Bradenville, PA)

They had a son who was named Levi (could they be Jewish Italian)
I can't pinpoint when they came to America. Levi was born in Derry, PA as were 3 other children

Tom
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

I would try to find the ship passenger record.

For Camilla, you might want to try the name Carmela. On the ship passenger record, she would be traveling using her maiden name, Bruno.

I would try looking for her father...if he came here, too.

I would also look for their census records. This wont give the town name, but should have the approx. year of immigration. This is another clue that you will have to use, if you find several people with the same name on the ship pass record.

I found the town for my husbands grandfather, on his death record (in this country). I had several other papers for him (ship pass record, naturalization record) which didnt have the name of the town.