Jean-Baptiste Salvaye Captain of the regiment in Pignerol

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Srossmeisl

Re: Jean-Baptiste Salvaye Captain of the regiment in Pignero

Post by Srossmeisl »

Hi

I do not have any information on Jacqueline Bellecote in fact she is also known as Marguerite Cotte in some reference books.

Being from the West coast, you may be a descendant of the Salvaye (Salvails) from British Columbia and later Washington state. I have quite a bit of information on the Salvail family - how far back can you trace your ancestry? I may be able to help you.

Worcester, MA
cchjs

Re: Salvay ancestry

Post by cchjs »

Actually, my grandfather is from New England and I think his ancestors may have crossed the border from Quebec. I don't know when they emigrated to America.

Have you met many Salvails in Massachusetts? When did the Salvails from your mom's side emigrate to America?
Srossmeisl

Post by Srossmeisl »

Hi

I sent you a private message on 2/24 and I have not heard from you.

Did you receive it? I was just trying it out so that we could correspond off line.
cchjs

Private Message

Post by cchjs »

Hi Stross,

I sent you a reply via Private Message a couple of days ago. Did you receive it? I don't know if this PM system is even working. :?

Cchjs
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

suanj wrote:
Srossmeisl wrote:Thank you. I will send an email to the "Archivio Storico Diocesano" and "Archivio di Stato di Torino"

regards, srossmeisl
Hi: also you can read this: " Atti notarili 1610-1854 delle localita valdese in provincia di Torino -Salt Lake City : Genealogical Society of Utah, 1994 , microfilm 35 mm , ITA-FRE (Microfilm dei registri originali nell'Archivio di stato di Torino
Testamenti, inventari, contratti matrimoniali, atti di donazione, procure, transazioni, cessioni e vendite, ecc. .. Atti notarili 1610-1854 Pinerolo -Torino)..
suanj
You should look at these notarial records, they would include possibly a marriage contract for Giovanni Battista and his wife. There is not a name Jacqueline (obviously) in Italian, but Jaquetta is a possibility, though VERY rare. the link to the microfilm numbers is:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... i+notarili++

Keep us posted if you do decide to undertake that project. It can be a thrill to use primary source records to research a line which has never been touched before, especially when there are so many descendants today (French Canadian's are prolific to be sure!!)
cchjs

RE: Giovanni Battista Salvai/y

Post by cchjs »

I’ve been going through my old files and can't recall if I posted a link to the surname distribution map of Italy.

Recap:

The Salvails are descended from the SALVAI family of Piemonte, Italy. Salvai is a Piemontese surname derived from Arabic.(In the 10th century, Saracens raided and occupied Piemonte.) An alternate spelling of Salvai is Salvay. Salvay(e) and Salvai(l) are N. American variants, and are not used in Italy.

To see a distribution of the Salvai surname in Italy, please visit

http://www.gens.labo.net/

Type Salvai in the Cognome box. As you will see, the majority of Salvais still reside in Piemonte, most notably in Turin province.( I know the ’06 Olympics uses the Italian “Torinoâ€Â
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, also this, but in italian :lol: :
[hr]

Cognome SALVAY
Dimora principale Con più dimore
In archivio Documento disponibile
Fonti bibliografiche Nobiltà Sabauda
Parentele ANGIONO
Titolo nobiliare ...

[hr]
Cognome SALVAY
Dimora principale Possedettero varie dimore
Fonti bibliografiche Archivi St Arald
Titolo nobiliare Patrizio

[hr]
Cognome SALVAI Dimora principale
Possedettero varie dimore
Fonti bibliografiche Archivi St Arald
Titolo nobiliare Signore
[hr]
also is interesting that in 1600 the surname was Salvay right, in fact a Alessandro Salvay in Torino, it was the mint master from 1653 to 1656 of Carlo Em. II king...suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
salvaildetremont

Post by salvaildetremont »

Salute!
If I remeber correctly, according to my great aunts research and family lore , Jean-Baptist de Salvaye de Tremont was given holy orders by the pope and sailed under the King Richlieu (treaty?) to bring Jesiut missionaries to New France to help to construct a perfect christian society. They brought with them an architect by the name of Monsieur de Sorrel.
I don't know if you have been to the south of France and North Italy. It is very common to have franco-italian heritage. There, even the names of towns are in both french and italian. So many of our ancestors were either french or italian because those were what the jesuit missionaries arriving there in those ships. It must have been quite a production!
cchjs

Post by cchjs »

Wasn't Jean-Baptiste Salvaye de Tremont one of Giovanni Battista's descendants? Giovanni's son, Pierre was the first Salvai/y (from our family line) to arrive in North America. The Carignan-Salieres regiment employed Italian mercenaries, among them Piemontese like Pierre Salvay. Many people don't know that Italians were some of the first Europeans in North America.

I'm very familiar with the French influence on Piemontese language and culture. The French invaded greater Piemonte in the early 1500s, and later acquired Pinerolo, our ancestral hometown, in the early 1600s when the House of Savoy was forced to cede it to them by treaty. Many linguistic experts regard Piemontese as an independent language. For additional information, please visit the Piemontesi Nel Mondo of Northern California website at http://www.piemontesinoca.com/language.php and download “A Brief Introduction to Piemonteisâ€
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Ave Maria!

Greetings from USA,

Has any more info on Jean Baptiste Salvaye's ancestors been found?
He is listed as squire, Captain etc...
I see his parents listed but no more. according to my research he is
listed among the possible noble's in Quebec in the 1700th century. His there any proof of this in Piemonte Turin Italy?
capitaine

Post by capitaine »

Use this link for Quebec infos

http://www.nosorigines.qc.ca/Genealogie ... 787&lng=fr

Patrick Salvail