Emigrating from US back to Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Melinda

Emigrating from US back to Italy

Post by Melinda »

I am beginning to think that after my grandfather came to the U.S., married, and had children, he went back to Italy. Is there any way to locate ships manifests going from here (US) to there (Italy)? Perhaps it would be best to check census records in Italy? Any suggestions? I can't seem to find anything of people who emigrated from the US.
Thanks.
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Emigrating from US back to Italy

Post by ptimber »

You can write to the towenof oriign in Italy and ask when he resumed residency in the town, presuming he returned to the town he orignally came from> Are there any relatives in the town of origin that you are aware of who can assist you? peter
Melinda

Post by Melinda »

Yes, I believe so. Last year I sent a letter to all of the people with my maiden name in and around Berceto (Mussi). I got a response from Ilario Mussi and we have been corresponding through my next door neighbor who happens to be Italian (Luigi DellaVecchia from Naples). We call every six weeks or so. This may be something I could ask Ilario to check into for me.

Thanks for the suggestion!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The census (anagrafe) office intown will know when he returned. Peter
augiedoggie

Post by augiedoggie »

I would like to ask'Peter'-or anyone who has info- if he can help with info about an Italian immigrant to the US who returned to Italy for a visit.I find them on the ships manifest on the return trip from the visits, but I can not find any info on the trip over from US to Italy?
Thanks Dave
Melinda

Post by Melinda »

Peter,
Thanks for your help. I will contact the anagrafe in Ghiare.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I am beginning to think that after my grandfather came to the U.S., married, and had children, he went back to Italy. Is there any way to locate ships manifests going from here (US) to there (Italy)?
But what happened to him? He never returned to the USA? What time frame would you say this took place?

If there were manifests available to research from, I am sure some people at this forum would know... but I haven't heard anything about Italian harbor manifests... It would be nice if we had access to them...

mfjp
casassa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by casassa »

Same problem here with my research. Not sure where to look for relative who left US and never returned to family. It was 1911. No town or birthplace but wife came from Locana area.
Casassa
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Back a hundred years or so there were two places to find the records for an individual. The company papers that kept track of ship's manifests. They were used for taxation purposes so the company kept track.

The port of entery kept track as well. No need to keep track of those going out of country at the time...passports not needed until later.

And many came and went many times before settling somewhere. Some died in places they never intended to...on a trip or a visit. In many instances they had relatives that went to other places...Canada, South America, England, Australia...may have gone to visit them and never returned.

But if you think they returned to Italy, contact the commune of birth or residence and see what information they might have on the death of the individual...it can help.

There is no major repository that I know of...anywhere...that lists the passenger departures from a country during this time period.
Melinda

Post by Melinda »

Because my father was born in 1914 I believe he left sometime after that. My father's sister was several years younger than he but family rumor has it his father was not hers. Dad said his father died of a tubercular bone infection but no one (brothers, etc) ever spoke of him. All I ever was told was that he had red hair & a handlebar mustache and died when Daddy was young. I will contact a man in Ghiare which is where I believe he was from and ask if he can find out anything about whether or not he returned to the town. I'll keep you posted.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I think he died before 1920 according to a 1920 census... There is a person listed as Lena??...and Bill... and Joseph (age 6), would this be the same family? This census is in pretty bad shape and difficult to read...

mfjp
Melinda

Post by Melinda »

Yes, Joseph would be my father and Lena was my grandmother's nickname. They were in Syracuse, NY at the time. No father - right?
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Yes, you are right, no father.

Lena would be the head of the house... they have her as "WD" as marital status... I guess it would have been a risky time to travel during the war years...? if he had planned to travel...

Have you ever seen the 1920 census? Finding the 1910 census would be nice...

mfjp