Bruno, another dead end

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
tzan
Rookie
Rookie

Bruno, another dead end

Post by tzan »

I finally traced my great grandmother down to entering the USA in 1905, however I cannot locate ship records, etc.

Name: Francis Bruno, born 1889/1890
Married: Joseph Yanni - he arrived in 1908
They lived in Lower Burrell in 1910 (name on record was Ynni), I have that documentation She came from Amanta, Italy in the Cosenza Region. Her mother's name was Carmella, she had a brother Joseph and a sister Minnie.

She is such a mystery and I really want to track her down.

Thans for your help.

Also looking for information on Eugenio Zanandrea from Mussolente and Dominico Dolcemore I have their info from Ellis Island but nothing from Italy.
from Pallargio
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Bruno, another dead end

Post by maestra36 »

Amanta, Italy ?

do you mean Amantea?
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Look at the following manifest. This individual is listed as male, but there is something written above the first name on the manifest (possibly the letters fem for feminine?). The sex on the manifest could be wrong and this may be your Francesca. (my great grandmother was incorrectly listed as male on her manifest, but she was already married and her destination was to her husband, so I knew it was her). This Francesco(a) was traveling with Saverio Bruno, age 46, her father ?, going to his brother-in- law named Gaetano Caruso in Brockswayville Pa. The age is right for your Francesca, so possibly this is her.

First Name: Francesco
Last Name: Bruno
Ethnicity: Italy, South
Last Place of Residence: Amantea
Date of Arrival: Jul 30, 1905
Age at Arrival: 16y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Nord America
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0007
tzan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tzan »

OMG, thank you, thank you. I have looked at the manifests so many times I guess I just passed it over. Always helps to have other eyes on this forum.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I can't guarantee that that is your Frances on the manifest. The other possibility is that she traveled with her mother and is listed under her mother's maiden name. The only way to possibly find her that way would be to search on www.stevemorse.org. Search on the first form which comes up-the gold form. Put in her first name and just the town name. Leave her last name blank on the form. Let's try that and see if we get any other potential hits. You can also simultaneously do a sound search of the town name in case it is misspelled on the manifest
tzan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tzan »

I really think that is here. No one elses comes up on that website during that time period. I do have census documentation from 1910 that does put her in the Brockway area and I still do have family in that general vicinity. Now to trace my grandfather Joseph Yanni. What a journey!!
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I don't know if you found them on the 1920 census, but the name is misspelled as in the 1910 census.

United States Census, 1920 for Joe Ynni
Name: Joe Ynni
Residence: , Westmoreland, Pennsylvania
Estimated Birth Year: 1884
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to Head of Household: Self
Race: White
Marital Status: Married
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Film Number: 1821666
Digital Folder Number: 4384931
Image Number: 00502
Sheet Number: 2
Household Gender Age
Joe Ynni M 36y
Spouse Francis Ynni F 30y
Child Frank Ynni M 10y
Child Elizabeth Ynni F 8y
Child Lena Ynni F 6y
Child John Ynni M 5y
Child Tony Ynni M 3y
Child Sam Ynni M 2y
tzan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tzan »

I do have that, thank you. They actually lived in a house 2 streets from where my brother lives now.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Just wanted to make sure you had the information. The son named Sam could have been named for Saverio Bruno, although I find it odd that he is the last born son and not the second born son unless they had another son with that name before John who had died and then they used the name again. Normally the second son was named after the wife's father.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

As to the manifest with that Francesco Bruno, I also went through the detainee list, and list of aliens held over for special inquiry for that ship, as I thought that one of those lists might have additional info that might help determine if these were the correct people, but they weren't on either list.
tzan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tzan »

Sam was one of the son's of Frances and Joseph. They called him Ponce for some reason. He died in the 1960's in New Kensington, PA. His siblings were Frank, John, Salvatore (Jimmy), Anna (they called her Lena), Elizabeth (Peggy)...my grandmother, Tony, and Samuel. After Joseph died, she married Dominico Dolcemore (changed his name to Dalcherone) and they had 3 more children, Rachael, Mary, and Rose.
markc

Post by markc »

my grandfather was Salvatore (Jimmy) Dalcherone, and after highschool, found out his birth surname was Yanni, and so was known as Jimmy Yanni for the rest of his life. He had two sons, James (of Wexford) and Jack (of Palmyra). Both are still alive. I am Mark, James oldest son. We will be getting together with cousin, Tony Zanandrea quite soon.