ROME FAMILY SEARCH

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DANDREA

ROME FAMILY SEARCH

Post by DANDREA »

I am looking for any realitives for personal reason only. To know my family, and, or add to my family tree. I am not possitive, but I believe part of my family came from L'Aquila Abruzzi, surname D'Andrea. I am not positive if they moved there from another part of Italy though. Ialso have posible realitives from ROME.
My father;
RONALD C D'ANDREA

His parents FELICE & ADELINE D'ANDREA- ADELINES maiden name PALITO , or variation of spelling.

Posible parents of FELICE D'ANDREA;
SABATINO & FILOMENA D'ANDREA- FILOMENAS maiden name unknown.
Also I am not possitive if SABATINO & FILOMENA are my realitives I was only told this, but I have no proff.

Felice came to the US to OHIO, where he married & he & Adeline had children, SAM,JOHN,TERESA, & RONALD D'ANDREA.

Felice & Adeline later seperated.
Felice went to FLORIDA where he passed away.
Adeline went to Southern CALIFORNIA where she passed away.

Felice & Adeline are my grandparents.
I would love to add to my family tree, and, or find any living realitives.

Birth years;
RONALD D'ANDREA- 1936
Father FELICE D'ANDREA- 1896-1897 aprox

Thank you,
LISA
D'ANDREA
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: ROME FAMILY SEARCH

Post by juanminbar »

felice arrived with his father sabatino 4 march 1909. final destination was wayneburg ohio. there was a brother vintor??????
felice returned to italy and arrived back14 july 1924...to akron ohio.
home in italy was carapelle, prov. laquila.
one of his military records shows he was born in rome...hhmmmmmmmmm. see below

Name: Felice Dandrea SSN: 271-22-8783
Last Residence: 32960 Vero Beach, Indian River, Florida, United States of America
Born: 27 Sep 1896
Died: Aug 1968 State
(Year) SSN issued: Ohio (Before 1951 )
=================================================================

Name Race Residence Enlistment Location Enlistment Date Birth Place Birth Date / Age Felice Dandrea <javascript:gof928550()> W 709 Bowery St., Akron,

Name: Felice Dandrea Age: 22 years
Estimated birth year: 1897
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Akron, Summit, Ohio, roomer

=====================================================================

Name: Felice Dandrea Serial Number: 1956807
Race: W Residence: 709 Bowery St., Akron, O.
Enlistment Division: National Army Enlistment Location: Akron, O.
Enlistment Date: 05 Nov 1917
Birth Place: Rome, Italy Birth Date /
Assigns Comment: Co G 332 Infantry 28 Dec 1917; Co G 308 Ammunition Train to 2 Jan 1918; Co E 308 Ammunition Train to Discharge Corporal 9 May 1918; Private 27 Aug 1918. Meuse-Argonne. American Expeditionary Forces 13 June 1918 to 27 Apr 1919. Honorable discharge 14 May 1919.

juanminbar
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi juanminbar :D

Felice's father mentioned in your previous reply - Sabatino.... does manifest mention how old Sabatino is?

Looks like there are a few repeats of the same subject... I answered one already... (about Sabatino)

mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Sabatino brother is VENTURINO first name;
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipm ... 1532150060
the birthplace is Carapelle Calvisio (L'Aquila province/Abruzzo region)
suanj
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

when sabatino arrived in 1909 the ship manifest list his age as 45.
felice was 13.
DANDREA

Post by DANDREA »

Thank you for all the info, it seems to fit in dates etc. My father RONALD D'ANDREA born to FELICE in 1936. My father was the youngest of Felices four children with ADELINE. I know FELICE & ADELINE lived in & around AKRON, and all four children of theirs my father, aunt & uncles were all born in OHIO. Where do you access this info? I have been to two web sites with cencus, & passanger records, but have not been able to find much. But I also am new at this.

Also I have not seen my father since I was three years old back in 1980,
rummor has it he went to Florida, like his father Felice. My father is still living, but like I said I have not seen him since I was a small child. If I knew where he was he would be able to give me more info on our family tree, or his sister(my aunt Teressa). But he seems to be missing??

Thank you
Lisa
D'ANDREA
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Also I am not possitive if SABATINO & FILOMENA are my realitives I was only told this, but I have no proff.
Thanks juanminbar! The year of birth for this particular Sabatino is also 1864. Heading for Ohio with a son Giovanni age 16.

Name:   Sabatino Dandrea
Arrival Date:   9 Mar 1915
Estimated Birth Year:   1864
Ethnic Background:   Italian (South)
Port of Departure:   Naples, Italy
Ship Name:   Canopic
Port of Arrival:   Boston, Massachusetts
Son's Name:   Angelo Dandrea
Wife in Italy: Name: Filomena
Last Residence:   Italy
Birthplace:   Caropello, Italy
Microfilm Roll Number:   231

http://img213.exs.cx/img213/7056/sabpage16tn.jpg

page 2

http://img213.exs.cx/img213/779/sabpage29mn.jpg
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

it appears that sabatino made a return visit to italy and returned with yet another son, giovann.

juan-----
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

DANDREA wrote:I am looking for any realitives for personal reason only. To know my family, and, or add to my family tree. I am not possitive, but I believe part of my family came from L'Aquila Abruzzi, surname D'Andrea. I am not positive if they moved there from another part of Italy though. Ialso have posible realitives from ROME.
My father;
RONALD C D'ANDREA

His parents FELICE & ADELINE D'ANDREA- ADELINES maiden name PALITO , or variation of spelling.

Felice came to the US to OHIO, where he married & he & Adeline had children, SAM,JOHN,TERESA, & RONALD D'ANDREA.

Felice & Adeline later seperated.
Felice went to FLORIDA where he passed away.
Adeline went to Southern CALIFORNIA where she passed away.

Felice & Adeline are my grandparents.
I would love to add to my family tree, and, or find any living realitives.

Birth years;
RONALD D'ANDREA- 1936
Father FELICE D'ANDREA- 1896-1897 aprox

Thank you,
LISA

lisa click onto the site shown below and you will access the addresses and phone numbers of five ronald's. good luck
http://phone.people.yahoo.com/py/psPhon ... ess+Search

juan---------
DANDREA

Post by DANDREA »

Thanks for the info, I found a military record at ancestry.com where it showed two Giovanni D'Andrea's enlisted the same time as Felice. I wondered if one may have been a brother, and a cousin? This confirms he had a brother Giovanni.
Is there a web site you can look this info up at?
The only places I found were ancestry.com & geanology.com, but geanolgy always gives me problems , not sure why. Plus I only accessed the free trials, but I looked at everything during the two weeks, but did not find much.
Thank you
Lisa
D'ANDREA
DANDREA

Post by DANDREA »

Juan,
Thanks for the #'s, I am going to call them later , but I am going to be nervous. :) Recently I received an e mail from a D'Andrea who is looking for his father as well off another forum I posted on a while back. His father has the same name & he has not seen him since he was a small child either :? He told me last he knew his father was in Florida where he was born. I told my mother, and she said you know your father always talked about wanting to go to Florida like his father(Felice). So I wonder if the D'Andrea who e mailed me may be my half sibbling. I told him if I find anything I will let him know, because you never know. He is in the same boat as me, just wanting to know his family. So I think I will try the Florida # first. I tried a few directory assistance web sites, but did not find these listings, the others were dead ends. But I did not have any of these, so I will give them a try.
Thanks again, have a nice day.
Lisa
D'ANDREA
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Lisa........

Last night I spent a long time looking up information and posted it. Today, other's referenced the same info with no sign of my original post...obviously they did not see the post because I could not find it. Thought I must have hit the wrong key and deleted it rather then posted it.

However, the problem lies in that you have constantly created a new thread. This is not always necessary. And consequently, people who are attempting to help you are left hanging...in other words, a lot of time is used duplicating the same results. It is getting hard to follow...at least for me.

If your post is responded to, it kicks it to the top of the forum making others see it. If you start a new thread, the old one continues to stack to the bottom, eventually going to the second page...and a new post will make others repeat what is already posted. So please, try the same thread for the same family surname.

As far as researching the information. Should you want access for free to the census records, you can do that with Heritage Quest. Many public libraries link to it. All you need is your library card number to search from your home computer. The library in my county did not have access. But the library in the next county did. So I bought a one year library card for $20 for being out of the county. And now I can access it as I wish. You should look into this. Call your public library and see if they have access.

Researching family is like searching anything else. You must start with what you know as fact and see where it leads you. You collect all the records you can...backwards. Death, cemetery, obituaries, marriage, birth...and that leads to parents who are then searched for death, cemetery, obituaries, marriages, and birth and so on.

People unfamiliar with the process think they have hit a blank wall..but in truth they have not yet discovered the door that is available to them. That is what most of us here provide...a key to that door. Once you start to become more familiar with doing research, doors will open.

A sample entery into Ancestry will sometimes get you a little info...but time gets you more. Why? Because with time you ask better questions of the data and the results become better. In Italian research you must know a few things....major is to know the town of birth in Italy. Without this, the rest is most difficult.

Another thing I have seen is the anxiousness to get over the ocean back to Italy without doing the homework on this side of the ocean that makes things go much easier. The language is a barrier for all of us who do not speak Italian. The handwriting in old records is also a barrier. When you look for someone and you know they should be in that location you have to begin to understand that they might be listed by how the name sounds rather then by how it should be spelled. Remember that the census taker in Alabama might have no clue as to how to pronouce the name Chiara never mind how to spell it once it is said to him.

Secondly, the dates from Italy to US immigrants are inevitably off. Sometimes only a couple of years, often more. Dates closer to the event are more likely accurate then those removed by more years. If the 1900 census stated he arrived in 1897 it is probably more accurate then the 1920 census that stated he arrived in 1894.

Thirdly, the first name could be different here then in Italy. Giambattista might be Battista or it might be Giovanni or it might be John here. So every clue you collect here about the family helps you go across the water.

If a father named Giuseppe had twelve kids, 5 of whom were sons in the years of 1800 to 1815, by the time 1830 comes around, each one of the sons gets married and calls their first sons Giuseppe. So now there are 5 Giuseppe's born from 1830 to 1845. By the time these Giuseppe's grow up and have grandchildren in 1880-1900...there are maybe 15 to 20 Giuseppe's born in the same generation...and all have the same first and last name... What work you do on this side of the ocean will conncect you with which Giuseppe or whomever resided on the other side of the ocean.

So gather all you can. Remember in any search engine...you want to ask for the broadest possible search....this is the last name and by soundex...how the name sounds, by location. This is the greatest number of hits returned and the greatest chance for success. Of course, sometime the numbers are too large to handle. Then you add more info to the search engine to narrow it down, but still keep the options open. So maybe now you add where he was born...Italy. And then maybe an age range...or a place he died. You still have not asked for information by first and last name because this is the smallest amount that can be returned to you...and you always start large.

As time passes there are more clues that you pick up on. If you ask for a surname in a town...you may find your ancestor...but you might find a brother or a father...just from the surname. This a good reason to do a broad search and then narrow it down.

Practice makes you better....there is no substitute from just doing it and you learn along the way.......

I never recommend people to access paid sites. It is a personal decision. Many will help you with information who do have access if you ask. But should you think it worth the investment, then do try them out for a time. Genealogy is a great hobby...but it is not free. Postage, copies, certified records, etc. all cost money. I think the investment is worth it....it is my hobby and I can meet and help a lot more people this way. It is my "club" membership. But everyone must evaluate the purchase price of any membership....

Have a great one......
DANDREA

Post by DANDREA »

Hi Essgee

Sorry about the confusion on the forum, I hope I posted this one right. :oops: When I first posted I did post a few of the same messages on different posts. I was not sure how this one worked. Within the last maybe two months I have been searching different forums to post on at different sites. This one is a little different, so I posted wrong. I am sorry about that. I am not sure if I have read all the replies, but I think I have.
I appreciate all the time each person has spent on my behalf, and feel bad that some was in vein due to my lack of knowledge in this forum.
When I respond to a comment, do I just hot reply like I did here?
Thank you for the help have a nice day.
Lisa
D'ANDREA
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

D'Andrea,
Yes, you posted correctly. Just keep adding what you find and responding on this thread.

Essgee has given you wonderful advice. It takes time to request documents and wait for their arrival, but it is an important part of the process, and without it important clues and family history can be lost. Don't forget the value of researching siblings too. Sometimes if we can't find a record on a direct ancestor, the answer will be on the record of their brother or sister.

Good Luck

Debbie
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

Essgee wrote:Lisa........

Last night I spent a long time looking up information and posted it. Today, other's referenced the same info with no sign of my original post...obviously they did not see the post because I could not find it. Thought I must have hit the wrong key and deleted it rather then posted it.

However, the problem lies in that you have constantly created a new thread. This is not always necessary. And consequently, people who are attempting to help you are left hanging...in other words, a lot of time is used duplicating the same results. It is getting hard to follow...at least for me.

If your post is responded to, it kicks it to the top of the forum making others see it. If you start a new thread, the old one continues to stack to the bottom, eventually going to the second page...and a new post will make others repeat what is already posted. So please, try the same thread for the same family surname.

As far as researching the information. Should you want access for free to the census records, you can do that with Heritage Quest. Many public libraries link to it. All you need is your library card number to search from your home computer. The library in my county did not have access. But the library in the next county did. So I bought a one year library card for $20 for being out of the county. And now I can access it as I wish. You should look into this. Call your public library and see if they have access.

Researching family is like searching anything else. You must start with what you know as fact and see where it leads you. You collect all the records you can...backwards. Death, cemetery, obituaries, marriage, birth...and that leads to parents who are then searched for death, cemetery, obituaries, marriages, and birth and so on.

People unfamiliar with the process think they have hit a blank wall..but in truth they have not yet discovered the door that is available to them. That is what most of us here provide...a key to that door. Once you start to become more familiar with doing research, doors will open.

A sample entery into Ancestry will sometimes get you a little info...but time gets you more. Why? Because with time you ask better questions of the data and the results become better. In Italian research you must know a few things....major is to know the town of birth in Italy. Without this, the rest is most difficult.

Another thing I have seen is the anxiousness to get over the ocean back to Italy without doing the homework on this side of the ocean that makes things go much easier. The language is a barrier for all of us who do not speak Italian. The handwriting in old records is also a barrier. When you look for someone and you know they should be in that location you have to begin to understand that they might be listed by how the name sounds rather then by how it should be spelled. Remember that the census taker in Alabama might have no clue as to how to pronouce the name Chiara never mind how to spell it once it is said to him.

Secondly, the dates from Italy to US immigrants are inevitably off. Sometimes only a couple of years, often more. Dates closer to the event are more likely accurate then those removed by more years. If the 1900 census stated he arrived in 1897 it is probably more accurate then the 1920 census that stated he arrived in 1894.

Thirdly, the first name could be different here then in Italy. Giambattista might be Battista or it might be Giovanni or it might be John here. So every clue you collect here about the family helps you go across the water.

If a father named Giuseppe had twelve kids, 5 of whom were sons in the years of 1800 to 1815, by the time 1830 comes around, each one of the sons gets married and calls their first sons Giuseppe. So now there are 5 Giuseppe's born from 1830 to 1845. By the time these Giuseppe's grow up and have grandchildren in 1880-1900...there are maybe 15 to 20 Giuseppe's born in the same generation...and all have the same first and last name... What work you do on this side of the ocean will conncect you with which Giuseppe or whomever resided on the other side of the ocean.

So gather all you can. Remember in any search engine...you want to ask for the broadest possible search....this is the last name and by soundex...how the name sounds, by location. This is the greatest number of hits returned and the greatest chance for success. Of course, sometime the numbers are too large to handle. Then you add more info to the search engine to narrow it down, but still keep the options open. So maybe now you add where he was born...Italy. And then maybe an age range...or a place he died. You still have not asked for information by first and last name because this is the smallest amount that can be returned to you...and you always start large.

As time passes there are more clues that you pick up on. If you ask for a surname in a town...you may find your ancestor...but you might find a brother or a father...just from the surname. This a good reason to do a broad search and then narrow it down.

Practice makes you better....there is no substitute from just doing it and you learn along the way.......

I never recommend people to access paid sites. It is a personal decision. Many will help you with information who do have access if you ask. But should you think it worth the investment, then do try them out for a time. Genealogy is a great hobby...but it is not free. Postage, copies, certified records, etc. all cost money. I think the investment is worth it....it is my hobby and I can meet and help a lot more people this way. It is my "club" membership. But everyone must evaluate the purchase price of any membership....

Have a great one......
the cream always rises to the top-----------
simply a classic reply.
your friend

juan