Looking for info on Manzione family from Contursi

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
michelle_m

Looking for info on Manzione family from Contursi

Post by michelle_m »

hi there,

i am looking for any information on the Manzione family from Contursi. My grandmother was Vincenza Manzione and was born in 1909. My father knows very little about her family, and i would love to be able to learn more about them, as well as help HIM learn more. any info would be greatly appreciated. thank you, and i will keep my fingers crossed! :)
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Looking for info on Manzione family from Contursi

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum

My family is also from Contursi and my friend Elton10's family is also.

Start here with this thread and let me know if you think you are related. Elton10's family immigrated to Newark,NJ, but also has ties in VA.

Do you know if when Vincenza immigrated or was she born in the US?

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... zione.html

It is better to keep your info on your own thread rather than respond on the previous one.

MJ
michelle_m

Post by michelle_m »

hello!!

i am actually just getting started with this... just began digging this week.

my grandmother was born in contursi, but i am not sure what year she came to the US. i will try to ask my father and see if he can tell me, as well as any siblings/parents names. she was married to a man with the last name sarlo before marrying MY grandfather, but i don't know if they were married there or here. he passed away, and she then met and married ernest montavon, who was born in switzerland but grew up in salerno. i believe his father (my great-grandfather) was a professor at a university there. i know his US arrival date, but not my grandmothers.

my father was the only child the two had, but they both had children from their previous marriages. my father was raised with 4 sarlo brothers, and never really got to know his father's sons on the montavon side. his closest living relatives are both sarlos, and still in CT. i believe there are also 1 or 2 remaining montavon siblings, but i do not know them at all, and my father has only seen them here and there throughout his life.

i will get back to you with any/all info i can get from my dad! thanks for the reply!
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I found 2 Sarlos from Contursi, an Antonio and a Pietro. They were bothe destined for Pittsburg. Could either of these be Vincenza's first husband?
michelle_m

Post by michelle_m »

i talked to my dad, he said her first husband was pasquale sarlo.

he also said that she came over to the US in the late 20s, early 30s. i don't know if pasquale sarlo had already passed... i know my grandfather grew up in salerno, which is close to contursi, so i suppose it is a possibility.

he doesn't know very much, but he is going to ask his older brother if he knows the names of my grandmother's siblings... he said that she had a brother and a sister. i also asked him to try and find her parents names.

not much to go on at all, i know! hopefully my uncle will be able to fill in some blanks... i should be able to get more info from him over the holidays.

thanks, MJ!
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I believe this is your Vincenza

Vincenza Sario Manzione
Arrival Date: 6 Apr 1931
Birth Year: abt 1909
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: cortussi
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Roma
She was travelling with her husband Pasquale Sarlo who was a US citizen naturalized in DC.

I'm sure someone will post the manifest for us.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Have you seen this Family Tree on Ancestry?

Vincenza Manzione
Birth: 2/10/1909 (2 Oct 1909) - Contursi, Campania, Italy
Death: 01/31/2000 (31 Jan 2000) - Waterbury, Connecticut, USA
Marriage: 1942 - Waterbury, Connecticut, USA
Spouse: Pasquale Sarlo

F: Giovanni Manzione

M: Savaria Forlenza

Note Vincenza's mother was Savaria Forlenza which may connect you to the Forlenzas also.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

misbris wrote:I believe this is your Vincenza

Vincenza Sario Manzione
Arrival Date: 6 Apr 1931
Birth Year: abt 1909
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: cortussi
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Roma
She was travelling with her husband Pasquale Sarlo who was a US citizen naturalized in DC...
Hey mj :D
great find!

lines 15-16
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/821/1931r.jpg
next page
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/6293/193101.jpg
michelle_m

Post by michelle_m »

omg, mj! this is the very first time i have ever seen my great-grandmother and father's names... somehow, thank you doesn't really cut it! :)

i apologize for the late reply, i actually got the flu right before the holidays and am only really coming out of it now.

i have not seen that tree on acestry.com... sadly, i can't really afford $30/month at this moment in time, and i have been dieing to know if there was anything on there :(
there are some discrepancies with some of the info, but i am sure that frequently must be the case. pasquale passed before 1942, as that was the year my father was born, ernest montavon being his father. she assumed the montavon name at that time and was known from that point as vincenza montavon. her birthday was feb 10, but that is not really wrong :)

i suppose if i want to go back any further, i will have to figure out a way to pay ancestry.com, but i don't see that happening in the very near future. all i can do is thank you wonderful people for giving me the information that you did... again, i had never heard savaria and giovanni's names before, and it means the world just to see that.

hope your holiday was wonderful, and again, thank you so very much!! xoxo
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I don't know if you are close to a public library, but you can access this info on the edition of Ancestry available at most libraries. The family tree there was started by a Sardo family member and contains a picture of Vincenza. You can also get a 2 week free trial membership, if you haven't used it already.

With the holiday, I have't had a chance to contact my friend Elton, but I will today. I am snowed in so I'll have the time to do some reasearch.

By the way, I was in Contursi last summer, it is a lovely town. I'll try to get you some photos. There are no Manzione left there today, but people remembered the name.
michelle_m

Post by michelle_m »

haha-- i bit the bullet and joined ancestry for 3 months... i wish there was more info on there, but so far, not too much other than what you had already told me... i will keep looking! if anyone can tell me who Savaria Forlenza's parents were, or Giovanni Manzione's parents, that would be fantastic. I have found many Manzione's and Forlenza's, but nothing connecting these two to the family.

still, this should keep me busy for some time... hope your new year is off to a great start! :)
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Happy New Year to you also,

Did you see the picture of Vincenza? Do you know who began that tree? I have had some family issues and have not contacted Elton yet. But I will, I promise.
michelle_m

Post by michelle_m »

yes, i did get to see those old pictures of my grandmother, which were great. i had never seen her so young before, so it was really cool. she was such a great person, and i have yet to taste sauce that even comes close! :)

yes, my cousin started that tree, and it's for the sarlo side of things (her first husband). he actually mistakenly attached the wrong Ernest Montavon (my grandfather) to the tree! i wrote him and am hoping he can change it, but i have not heard back yet.

from my digging around, i have been able to find tons of other manzione's and forlenza's, but have not been able to connect my ggranparents savaria and giovanni to any of them yet. if i can find out who their brothers/sisters were, i cuold most likely find their parents.
i wish i had more hours in the day to dig! :)
contursi091

Post by contursi091 »

misbris wrote:Happy New Year to you also,

Did you see the picture of Vincenza? Do you know who began that tree? I have had some family issues and have not contacted Elton yet. But I will, I promise.
Vincenza was my great grandmother.

Ernest "Mark" Montavon is my great uncle.

I'm Your Uncle John's grandson.

The Tree was started by my Uncle Joe. We have a decent amount of letters from family back in Italy and a couple of pictures of vincenza before she passed.
michelle_m

Post by michelle_m »

awesome! we're not too far apart, then.

which of my cousins is your parent?? and what's your name? i'm sure i've heard it before. sadly, i haven't seen any of their kids since they (you) were babies, but we were all relatively close growing up and your uncle joe is my older cousin. i have not seen any of them in YEARS, but i'm trying to change that :)

i was close with my grandmother, but i moved around a lot during her final years. it was great to see pictures of her so young! i have tons of pics as i knew her, but never saw her as a young woman.

maybe you could ask joe if he knows who our grandmother's grandparents were? i am not able to go further back than her parents, giovanni and savaria. i wrote to him on ancestry. com but his account may have expired. he listed the wrong person as my grandfather... hard to believe there were two, but one was born in MI and my grandfather was born in either lucerne switzerland or salerno italy. he has been quite the mystery!! i've always known about my mother's side--we can trace them back to the 1600s. but my father never knew his family history, so i'm trying to figure it out for the both of us.

hope to hear from you, 2nd cousin! :)