Getting hesitant...encourage me please!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Getting hesitant...encourage me please!

Post by DeFilippis78 »

My appt is in 6 months and Im getting nervous and hesitant to go. My application and docs are like swiss cheese and Im afraid they will turn me away and I will have spent all that money and time for nothing.

Plus, Im wondering if there is any downfalls to me and my children becoming citizens
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Getting hesitant...encourage me please!

Post by Rodio »

Go to your appointment. I remember feeling as if my app would be denied, but mine was fortunately accepted.

You've come this far already--let the consular officer tell you what is needed with your app (if anything).

As for the negatives to having Italian citizenship--it mainly could affect security clearances to upper level US Govt jobs--that is the main one that comes to mind. The benefits in my opinion, are substantially greater.

Buona fortuna.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Ive seen so many here basically with the "luck of the draw", almost you are subject to the person sitting behind the desk. Some are nice and some are not. And some can turn you down for that reason alone. I have discrepancies in almost every generation and Ive tried for a year to to patch them up best I can. Its so nerve wracking!
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rodio »

It is the luck of the draw. Do the most to help your application: when your appointment comes, be on time, have your paperwork organized, dress professionally, wait to have the officer to tell you if there's an issue. As for now, wherever you have discrepancies, try to change them, if you cannot, get paperwork stating that you cant. Finally, when you get stressed, take a deep breath and have a glass of wine!!
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Im going to need a lot of vino,lol!!! Doesnt my husband need to come with me since Im having my children apply with me that are under 18? I think they need his signature, right?
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Go to the appointment. The worst that can happen is they will tell you that you need to fix the problems in your application and come back for a second appt. I have a few problems in my application, but they are all things that shouldn't matter. We'll see if I have the luck of the draw, I doubt it as I've had some bad luck with the consulate thus far, but keep in mind they can't deny your Right to Italian citizenship b/c they are not nice. That would be like a cop denying your right to silence b/c he was a mean cop.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Ive tried to fix everything in advance and some cant be fixed. The other issues is documents cant be found for some marriages. Plus, the ancestor from Italy was married before, but I cant find anything on his first wife as far as death or divorce. The comune has nothing. They might say its the wrong person because that marriage is on his BC and there is no record of him marrying my GGM.

They can turn you down out of being just a jerk but do it under the premise of things missing that cant be found or fixed.

Another issue is they may want a census since there is no record of nat. anywhere. Ive tried for a year and even hired genealogists and many others have looked and NARA and NJ archives couldnt find it either. If they want that,Im screwed
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Well, maybe you'll get lucky, probably worth a shot. Are you applying thru Jersey? I've heard they are pretty nice to deal with.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Im applying through Philly. I heard they are generally relaxed...I hope, lol!
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Philly, me to!

I've heard they are great to deal with, although I worry that I may have pissed them off by getting some members of the Italian Parliament to contact them on my behalf. I kind of assume they will be going at me with a fine tooth comb. Of Course, my appt is so far off they probably won't even remember me by then.

My biggest worry is that my GGF changed his middle name to his baptismal name, nothing as big as what you are looking at.

I'd give it a try, if I were you. How far is Philly from you? I've got to drive from across the state.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

what documents have discrepancies ? and what are the discrepancies? shoot us a list and im sure a forum member will have a solution. also you have come this far go to the appointment and hear what the consular official has to say. they will never say no just tell you what you need. and did you try church records? and are you sure of where they are married? might wanna try searching the nyc and nys records if your family resided in jersey
belmoro19
Rookie
Rookie

Post by belmoro19 »

This is sort of like my siutation. I wiil be applying at the philly consulate february 1 2011. I have similar issues. I am missing my grandparents marriage record and told the consolate through email that it was missing and that i have many no record found letters to back it up. I asked them if I should keep my appointment and they responded yes and to get a copy of census showing them married. I spent the money and obtained a copy of the 1950 census showing them as man and wife. I am still nervous that when I get there they will change their minds on the document. I also have some minor name issues on non direct line persons.So I am going to take my chances and see what happens. I wish us all luck on our quest
buona fortuna
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

belmoro19 wrote:This is sort of like my siutation. I wiil be applying at the philly consulate february 1 2011. I have similar issues. I am missing my grandparents marriage record and told the consolate through email that it was missing and that i have many no record found letters to back it up. I asked them if I should keep my appointment and they responded yes and to get a copy of census showing them married. I spent the money and obtained a copy of the 1950 census showing them as man and wife. I am still nervous that when I get there they will change their minds on the document. I also have some minor name issues on non direct line persons.So I am going to take my chances and see what happens. I wish us all luck on our quest
buona fortuna
A census to prove marriage? Never thought of that route. It shouldnt matter though as many stated here. I have all certifed birth certificates and 5 sources of no naturalization. The problem is the marriage certificates and documents on the NON direct line. That side shouldnt even matter. Some want those docs and others dont.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Forza, Im coming from the shore out to Philly. Maybe an 1 1/2 hour drive.

Monkey, the list is growing of discrepancies. Id have to go through all them to tell you guys exactly what the problems are. The whole family started and stayed in Jersey City the whole time. No records nowhere for marriage. Im at the point of getting translations and apostilles. This is when the big bucks are spent. So Im growing skeptical as i get ready to dish out the money just to be told Im not eligible. Its a hard move when your married with 4 kids and have other things to spend the money on
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

well if you dont go further then you have wasted your time and money already. I see you have made over 1000 post, so why quit now? you clearly have spent time on this. I dont think they will ever say no your not able to get it.they will just say this is what you need to correct and what you need to get. I am sure there is a way for you to get it. dont give up now! Please keep going !

for discrepancies keep positivo negativo letters in mind from your ancestral commune! for naturalization documents this is considered acceptable proof for discrepancies on the document.