Fried Dough Translation

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
fishacura
Rookie
Rookie

Fried Dough Translation

Post by fishacura »

My grandmother would always make Fried Dough for the family at a pre-Christmas feast. However, we referred to it phonetically as "GRU-sta-lee". I am trying to find out where this comes from. It has to be a dialect for something but certainly not Zeppoli as it sounds way too different right? Any ideas/thoughts? Anyone heard this term?
fishacura
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Fried Dough Translation

Post by fishacura »

Well, this looks like it's making me download a file which I cannot do from here. I also Googled the word "crostelle" but didn't come up with anything. Can you cut and past the text of what's in the link? I'm on the edge of my seat because this looks like something that could be "dialected" for lack of a better word, into "GRU-sta-lee."
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

fishacura
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fishacura »

That's okay...this is terrific.

What's odd to me is that this is the only instance of this term "Crostelle" I can find on the entire net. 99.9% of the time fried dough is referred to as Zeppoli.

I'm wondering where Crostelle came from. My family is from Cosenza but I have never really heard/seen this term anywhere else until now. Interesting.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I believe that Crostelle is a term specifically used in Calabria...
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
fishacura
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fishacura »

That's great thanks! It's interesting because this has to be the term from which it is derived, but what's interesting is that what we refer to as this, is actually not this exact food. Ours is more on the order of Zeppoli or Funnel Cake (softer dough once cooked...not hard and crispy).

Another couple family

"da-DA-lay" which are round and hard and flavored with a bit of anise. AGain, I am sure this is some bastardization of something.

"sca-LEE-lee" which are hard twists of dough coated in honey.

It's actually fun discussing this as a nice change of pace from the name/family aspect of genealogy. It's almost a family tree of food and dialects. My apologies for butchering the language. On a side note, I took a couple of semesters of Italian and when trying to speak it properly, nobody in my family could understand me:

Come here = "vene qui" not "vene-ca"
Where = "Dove" not "a-do-ee"

FUNNY!
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

da -DA -lay.
Taralles
Italian "pretzels"
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

our family "bastardization" of taralles, by the way, is dadals. This particular pronunciation comes from Avellino province in Campania.
fishacura
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fishacura »

I have a couple more but will need to ask my dad. One is similar to the honey twists but they're balls (about the size of oblong golf balls) darker but also with honey. I"ll find our name for them...
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

Those balls are called, again in the Avellino dialect of my mother (phonetically), striadel.
LilyBean359

Post by LilyBean359 »

Hello,
I was cooking with my grandma who is a second generation immigrant from Sicily. Her mother used to make homemade bread and with the leftover dough she would make fry bread. She would fry it, coat with olive oil and shred parmesan cheese on top. She called this fry bread bi-cyat-si. I don't even know how to spell it to look it up. Does anyone know what this word would be? Thanks!
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

My grandmother (her parents were born in Caulonia, Reggio di Calabria) made "fried dough" (what we called it) which I absolutely loved! She'd deep fry it and then sprinkle sugar on it. It was golden brown and soft...yum!
Lynne
Rossonero3
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rossonero3 »

I'll chime in on this...In Lawrence, MA where there used to be a very large southern italian community, there were a couple of bakeries that made what you are describing and they were called "Crispelli'. You could get them with a single anchovy inside (I LOVE THESE) or with a little ricotta. We still eat them from time to time.

https://www.wellseasonedgourmand.com/cr ... n-closing/
Researching areas - Marzano Appio, Caserta and Carinola, Caserta