Book "Elizabeth Street"

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Book "Elizabeth Street"

Post by elecar »

I just finished reading "Elizabeth Street" written by Laurie Fabiano. Story of the Italian immigrant experience at the start of the twentieth century.

I couldn't put the book down. So if you haven't read it already and have time between all of the ancestor research and preparation for Christmas you might find this book at your local library.

Buon Natale
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Book "Elizabeth Street"

Post by maestra36 »

I couldn't put the book down either, when I read it. I am happy to have a copy of it on my bookshelf. Another book which I found an interesting read, and happen to own, is Rosa: The Life of an Italian Immigrant by Marie Hall Ets.
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by elecar »

Maetra36:

Thanks for sending this. Hope our library has it.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Rosa is written by a social worker who befriended her when she lived in Chicago. Since they became friends, Rosa relayed to her detailed information about her life both in Italy and here the U.S. My immigrant ancestors were all in NYC (not down on Elizabeth Street either), but I still find books like these so informative and such interesting reads. I hope you can get a copy of this book and enjoy reading it too.
Peg
Nativityrae

Post by Nativityrae »

Thank you for the information about "Elizabeth Street". I will definitely get a copy and read it. My great grandmother was Maria Teresa Fabiano from Gimigliano, Italy. I want to find out more information about her. She was born in 1882 in Italy and died in 1938 in Niagara Falls, NY. She married Francesco Salvatore. I am trying to figure out the ties between the Fabianos in America and those in Italy -- but not have had much success yet. Maria Teresa's brother was Francesco Fabiano who was a shoemaker in Niagara Falls. -- Natalie