NYC Consulate - Backlogged?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

NYC Consulate - Backlogged?

Post by JavaisLife »

Hi Guys,

I wrote to my bisnonnos commune, requesting the Birth Registry, before my appointment in early Sept. I just receive the document early this week. Now, since I receive this extra document, I called the NYC Consulate, for I figured it'd be a good way to ask them if they could use it towards my application, and hopefully gleam some information on how far along there were w/ approving my application (i'm one week shy of 3 months).

I called the NYC Consulate yesterday, the gentleman I spoke with said they were incredibly backlogged w/ applications, and what would normally have taken 3 months to process is taking them longer. He assured me it would not take years, but perhaps a few more months?

I know I cannot speed the process along, but I really am hoping for additional information.

My brothers appointment is end of Jan, I was hoping I'd have my passport in time (or at least recognition) so his application could be smoother.

Anyone else call/contact the NYC Consulate requesting updates on their applications? What was the wait time?

Cheers,
Marie
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Re: NYC Consulate - Backlogged?

Post by sceaminmonkey »

when I went in for my appointment on DEC 9 2010, the consulate official quoted 3-4 months. I wish I knew their names! but he said 3-4 months so I dont know what to think. I cant wait its been so long since I started this process !
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I was told to expect to wait one year for a decision; it actually arrived in the mail just 4 weeks after my final submission.

Granted, that was in mid-2008.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

wait a year!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 8O . I dont know what to think now. they did seem to be extremely busy when I went in. do you think having a larger commune like napoli will work to advantage? like more staff to register my birth etc?
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I've said this before. If you have a plane ticket to Italy, they will speed it up. If not, you don't need your Italian citizenship in a hurry because you already have citizenship -- American.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I'm well aware I don't need it at the moment. that is not the topic. the topic is how long is the wait time and are they indeed backlogged?
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I would say, "yes", they have a backlog. As of 1996, there were 2,900,000 Italians and Americans of Italian descent in the state of New York.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Wow that's crazy to think. Seems like so much of America has Italian decent .
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

Hi Jennabet - yes, that might be true, but that does not mean all those Italian Americans are applying for their Dual Citizenship at once. ... ;)

I know that they are backlogged - for they are downsized, I am just unsure of the wait time. Screaminmonkey - I think you are the most recent person to have had an appointment, they told you 3 - 4 months? That's just a month extensions. ... I just passed 3 months now, so fingers crossed I hear in time for XMAS :) !!!!
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

O did they only tell you 3 months? well they told me 3-4 but , did they not also find a discrepancy later on that they did not even call to tell you about? has that discrepancy been taken care of?
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

Hi Monkey ;)

They told me about the discrepancy at the meeting (if you re-read my recap, you see that I almost died of fear after handing in all of the municipal archive papers. ... they were such a mess).

They said they would have to look through the multiple marriage issue (my GGF practically married all of Italy after he left my GGM and America to returned to Italy. He never announce his first marriage to Italy). I knew about it at the meeting, but I didn't think they were going to take the full 3 months to research it.

I'll keep you posted.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

how long does it take the consulate to actually send my documents to italy? I am unclear still of the process. they took my paper work and it will be reviewed again by a supervisor?
ccam

Post by ccam »

My appt with the NYC Consulate was Sept 7. At the appt, I was told I needed a different certificate which I provided on Oct 8. On Dec 30 I received an email that I was approved and could apply for an Italian passport. Good luck!
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

Hmph. Wonder why I am still waiting. I had my appointment on the 10th of Sept. I didn't have to supply any additional documents. Congrats CCam! Fingers crossed that mine is any day now.

- M
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

ccam who were you going through etc? maybe if your case was simple the approval was simple?