I need help with birth certificate!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Max.

I need help with birth certificate!

Post by Max. »

Hi!!
I'm Max, from Argentina. The grandparents of my mother were both italians, but my mother isn't. She wants to get the italian citizenship, and so do I! We need the birth certificate of her grandparents.

Her grandfather: Francesco Risafi. He was born in Cosenza, Italy. He was probably born between 1881 and 1885.

Her grandmother: Assunta De Filippi (or Asunta, or Asuncion, I don't know exactly...). She was born also (i think) in Cosenza, between 1890 and 1895).

The question is: where can I find his birth certificate?? Can you pleeeease help me? This is driving me crazy, because in some websites that I look for him he appears, with the "right" father, but with "wrong" mother. Anyway, here in my country used to change the names a little bit, because of the big amount of analphabet in those times.

Thanks for everything!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: I need help with birth certificate!

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Does either of these seem to be a possibility?
Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Enlistment year 1883.Volume number 196, document number 77 page 110 section b
Francesco Risafi, falegname enlisted on --/--/---- born on 21/09/1882 in CORIGLIANO CALABRO son/daughter of Alfredo Risafi and of Maria Rosa Arturo Vulcano

Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Enlistment year 1875.Volume number 134, document number 66 page 126 section c
Francesco Risafi, contadino enlisted on 10/06/1895 born on 08/04/1874 in CORIGLIANO CALABRO son/daughter of Luigi Risafi and of Mariangela Lauria
Both of these records are from the Cosenza "Registro di Leva" - military enlistment records. Note: this does not mean that the person named served in the Italian military, just that an entry was made in the records for him. Every male appeared in these records at age 21, even if he left Italy prior to his 21st birthday.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Even today, there are only 8 Risafi's listed in the Italian telephone directory. Six of them are in Corigliano Calabro; I think it is very likely that Francesco came from this village.

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... &om=0&l=en

Comune website: http://www.comune.corigliano.cs.it/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Max.

Post by Max. »

thanks Johnny!
That same website is the one that I look for him, but there is something very weird on that database that I don't understand.
I searched in http://poster.beniculturali.it/poster/action.do (I think it's the same site that you searched) for Francesco, and I found two. The one you wrote here, and another one.

I'm almost sure is the other one, who was born in 1882, because my mother thinks she remember that her grandfather's birthday was in September 21th, and that his father was Alfonso (not Alfredo).

The problem here is: If you search ALFONSO RISAFI, there are 2 entries.

1) Note that the info below is in fact the info of FRANCESCO Risafi, not Alfonso (don't know why....)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SIAS Code IT-ASCS-F680258
Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Enlistment year 1882.Volume number 188,
document number 253 page 391 section a
Francesco Risafi, falegname enlisted on 07/07/1902
born on 21/09/1882 to CORIGLIANO CALABRO
son/daughter of Alfonso Risafi and of Maria Rosa Arturo Vulcano
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2)
Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Enlistment year 1884.Volume number 204,
document number 21 page 235 section c
Francesco Risafi, falegname enlisted on --/--/----
son/daughter of Alfonso Risafi and of Maria Rosa Arturo Vulcano
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You see? There are 2 with the same info in some places, but it changes the document tnumber, volume, enlistment year...

And, there is something even more weird. If you look for ALFREDO Risafi, there is only one entry, this one:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Enlistment year 1883.Volume number 196,
document number 77 page 110 section b
Francesco Risafi, falegname enlisted on --/--/----
son/daughter of Alfredo Risafi and of Maria Rosa Arturo Vulcano
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is driving me crazy!! In the three entries, the info displayed is actually of FRANCESCO, and not Alfonso or Alfredo. With my mom, we think that the Alfonso was the father of Francesco, but here says another thing...
I really don't know what to think... =(
Do you have an idea?

Thanks! And sorry for my english and the long looong post
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

They are probably all for the same person and, in fact, they really don't matter. If I were you, I would write to Comune di Corigliano Calabro and request the birth certificate ("Estratto Per Riassunto Per Atto Di Nascita") for Francesco Risafi born 21/09/1882.

There are many reasons why there might be multiple Registro di Leva entries for a person. The Alfredo record is probably a mis-transcription or other error. This name (Risafi) is so rare, I really think Francesco born 21/09/1882 is your man.
Carmine

Max.

Post by Max. »

Thanks! I really appreciate your quick replies =).

I'll call today or tomorrow to the only son alive from Francesco Risafi, and I'll ask him more information about him. If i have a question, I'll post it here because I realize that you know a lot about these kind of problems.

Once again, thank you!
sandaniel

Post by sandaniel »

Hola soy Daniel Risafi de Argentina, mi abuelo se llamaba Alfonso Risafi, te puedo ayudar en algo?
Max.

Post by Max. »

hola Daniel!

Tenes idea de esta persona a quien busco? Francesco Risafi, nacido en 1882-1885 aprox, pero lo que sé es que Alfonso Risafi era el padre, a menos que Francesco tuviera un hermano llamado igual que el padre. Sabes algo de esto?

Yo estoy tratando de conseguir algunos datos de Francesco, porque es mi bisabuelo, y quiero sacar la ciudadania por parte de él.

Gracias!!