Ship records in Italy vs US---do they exist

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
decogrl

Ship records in Italy vs US---do they exist

Post by decogrl »

Looking for Altomare ancestors. Wondered if records exist in Italy showing people coming in to Italy. I believe that my gr-grandfather's brother Carmenuci, left Pennsylvania for either South America or went back to Italy.

In 1903, he came from Curacao, an island in the Carribbean to visit my gr-grandfather in Butler County, PA. He stayed with Giovanni and then left between 1910-1920--my grandmother says he left the country. Either Venezuela or he went back to Italy.

Any help appreciated.
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Ship records in Italy vs US---do they exist

Post by mfjp »

and was never heard of again?? :(

As far as I know, no online published manifests (or Family History film) from i.e. USA to Italy...

Not sure what you have researched... (American records)

If you want a census looked up, maybe you could provide a year of birth for both Carmine and Giovanni (wife's name too) - since there is a chance that he was in the USA in 1910 and 1920... town of birth too.

Plus you have to consider the war time line...

There were a few Italian passenger ships that were hit by torpedos.

mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

mfjp wrote:and was never heard of again?? :(

As far as I know, no online published manifests (or Family History film) from i.e. USA to Italy...

Not sure what you have researched... (American records)

If you want a census looked up, maybe you could provide a year of birth for both Carmine and Giovanni (wife's name too) - since there is a chance that he was in the USA in 1910 and 1920... town of birth too.

Plus you have to consider the war time line...

There were a few Italian passenger ships that were hit by torpedos.

mfjp
Hi mfjp, is possible , in this case, to obtain IN USA the passport copy of Carmine Altomare.. perhpas are something... or is possible to contact the Italian consul in Venezuela, or the italian Common of Carmine birth;
-if he back in Italy, sure died in Italy and is possible to ask infos in Common... your suggestions?
baci baci, suanj
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I am just assuming he was never heard from again... just waiting for decogrl to write back with more information.

I do not know anything about writing for a copy of an American passport.

If anyone knows something about obtaining a copy of an old passport, please advise.

Suanj, the advice you give sounds very logical. I am sure she will appreciate it. Saluti!

mfjp
decogrl

Post by decogrl »

Carmenuci was born I believe in Strongoli, Rogliano, Calabria about 1867. Giovanni was born September 9, 1874. His wife, Maria Teresa Varano was born May 16, 1885 in Isca Sullo Ionio Catanzaro. Giovanni and Carmenuci's parents were Marco Altomare and Maria Palazzo. I have found them in census records in US. Does anyone have access to Italian Census records?

THanks
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Carmenuci never married?
emiroirausquin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by emiroirausquin »

Hi decogrl, I currently live in Valencia Venezuela,

There were a lot of vessels departing from Venezuela to the United States via Curacao. So, I think there are chances that he lived in Venezuela for a period of time.

ALTOMARE isn’t a common last name in Venezuela. I performed a preliminary search in the government phone company directory (main cities) and these are the results.

CARACAS

ALTOMARE, Corrado
0212-4421545
Montalbán
ALTOMARE, Corrado
0212-4426105
Montalbán
ALTOMARE, Corrado
0212-4429408
Montalbán
ALTOMARE, Girolamo
0212-6619084
Santa Mónica
ALTOMARE, Sergio
0212-9450044
Los Samanes

MARACAY

ALTOMARE, Forgia
0243-2322862
La Soledad
ALTOMARE, Sergio
0243-2413384
S/U
ALTOMARE, Sergio
0243-2838694
Caña De Azúcar

VALENCIA

ALTOMARE, Angela
0241-8782676
Rafael Urdaneta

Keep in mind that there is an Italian tradition of naming new born babies after members of the family. Do any of these names ring the bell? It is not a real scientific method but with such a broad search (South America – Italy) that you must perform, I don’t think you should rule anything out.

Greetings,

Emiro I- Sangiovanni
girty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by girty »

Hi

passports were only issued to citizens, so if he traveled from PA. back to Italy there weren't be a record. I would do as suanj suggests and write to town he lived in before coming to America.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

girty wrote:Hi

passports were only issued to citizens, so if he traveled from PA. back to Italy there weren't be a record. I would do as suanj suggests and write to town he lived in before coming to America.
Yes girty:
-my suggestion is very just, why is possible to request the "SCHEDA INDIVIDUALE" of Carmine (Carminuccio is the diminutive) in birth's Common, and so will know all infos, also emigration date..
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
dimps_401

Post by dimps_401 »

I was in Yahoo and typed the name of the person im searchin and passengers + Italy, they had every name listed.
solivitaman

Post by solivitaman »

I am looking for a ship that left Naploi around mid February 1891 arrived NY about March 12th 1891