International reply coupons!

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

International reply coupons!

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Hello! I'm preparing to send a letter to the Mayor's office of Bagheria. Through some emails back and forth, I found out that they have the documents that I'm requesting but I just need to send them the equivalent of a "SASE." I called my local USPS and they have the IRC's but the person I spoke to didn't know how to use them! So, do I just put them in the envelope along with the self-addressed envelope? Or should I affix it like I would a stamp? And, how many should I use? I have requested several documents on several ancestors of mine--so can I send a few standard envelopes inside a larger one? I aoplogize for sounding so idiotic here---but they are spending so much time and effort in putting all the documents together for me--I just want to do this correctly! Thank you so much for helping me!
Emmy
Master
Master

Re: International reply coupons!

Post by Emmy »

when I have sent IRCoupons I have just put the IRC (which you will have already paid for - this is to cover the cost of the return postage) in with the letter with the request and also enclosed a self addresssed envelope. When they receive the IRC- the person you have sent it to should then take it to their Post office and this pays for the return postage. (Perhaps you should tell them to do this in your letter)
Hope this of some help
Emmy
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Also most post office wont have them so you have to order online
http://www.usps.com/prices/extra-services-prices.htm
Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Marty
My former local post office, which was in a rural area, always had international reply coupons. Before ordering them online, one should check to be sure a local post office doesn't carry them.
Peg
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

To go to most Post Offices in my area you need to allow at least an hour to wait in line. You can't even buy stamps, they want to put the sticky label on the envelope. To buy stamps I have to go to the Tobacconist and he doesn't always have the ones for overseas. I suspect that most IRC's are not used.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I believe there was a lengthy discussion on the use of IRC's, and the difficulty in using them.....trying to locate that now.

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Located several, here is one thread:

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... art=0.html

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
JoeR63

Post by JoeR63 »

The IRCs cost $2.10 each online and shipping and handling is $1.00. I ordered some just a couple of weeks ago and it took about 3 business days to receive them.

I sent two IRCs with a letter to a comune requesting information. The comune responded to a previous request of mine back in November without asking for postage or expenses, but I wanted to "go the extra mile" to pay for postage since they are taking the time and effort to respond.
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Thank you everyone for all the replies! I really appreciate the help! I'll prepare my letter, inclose the IRC's and we'll see what happens!