Eggs cooked in tomato sauce.

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Apples
Rookie
Rookie

Eggs cooked in tomato sauce.

Post by Apples »

My granddad used to make a tomato sauce and then crack an egg into it and let the sauce poach the egg.

Does anybody know the name for this dish?

Is it linked to a particular area of italy?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Eggs cooked in tomato sauce.

Post by liviomoreno »

I call them "uova al pomodoro". That's it.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I know it is not the same thing, but on a recent program chef Lidia Bastianich prepared "Cavatappi al forno" (think Baked Ziti) with the surprising addition of six hard-boiled and sliced eggs layered into the pan. Seemed a bit strange to me. :)

See http://www.lidiasitaly.com/recipes/detail/256
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Apples
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Apples »

Thanks Livio. I guess that I was expecting something a bit more romantic! :-D
Is it something that is eaten in all areas of italy?

Carmine - this is definitely a different recipe but I think it sounds quite tasty - I am going to give it a try-Thanks.

Perhaps we could have an italian recipe section?
MaryMena
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MaryMena »

I've seen the recipe done on TV and have made it a few times since, except I add onion, garlic, basil, and parsley to the sauce. The cook called them "uova in purgatorio" -- eggs in purgatory. I have no idea where that name came from. I believe it is similar to the Mexican dish called "huevos rancheros".

MaryMena
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Hey Carmine, my family puts hard boiled eggs in the lasagna. Quite common in our family.

Family out of Sicily at the time of immigration.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

lilbees wrote:Hey Carmine, my family puts hard boiled eggs in the lasagna. Quite common in our family.

Family out of Sicily at the time of immigration.

lilbees
Speaking as a guy who doesn't particularly care for hard-boiled eggs, yuck!

:)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

:wink: :wink: :roll:

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PS: My mother's family is calabrese (Malvito, Cosenza); my father's family hails from Roccasecca in Frosinone (previously Caserta).

Do you pan fry meatballs before putting them into the sauce? My mother used to do so occasionally to please my father, who preferred them that way. As for me, I don't care for the "crust" and much rather have them dropped into the sauce raw and let them cook that way.
Carmine

lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

I brown my meatballs lightly then finish them in the oven. Add them to the sauce later. Since I "put up" my basic sauce, either to the freezer or canned, I add the other stuff later depending on what I am making. I do make up a 22 qt. batch so there is plenty.

Some of my sauces I add other spices and ingredients.

For my "Sunday" sauce will add sausages, meatballs, etc. When we used to have pheasant or some other game that would be added as well. It all depends.

lilbees

Dam this is making me hungary!
Apples
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Apples »

I found the name 'uova in purgatorio' on the internet as well MaryMena.

Does anyone know why the eggs would be in purgatory?
Or where this name comes from?
Cherry
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cherry »

What exactly meatballs are made of? I heard that you put them also on pasta dishes, is it true?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Cherry wrote:What exactly meatballs are made of? I heard that you put them also on pasta dishes, is it true?
But of course! Also in a sandwich ("grinder", "hoagie", "sub") on good crusty Italian bread or rolls, with or without melted mozzarella cheese.

See http://blog.mainefoodandlifestyle.com/2 ... balls.html

Some people make them using only ground beef; others use a mix of ground beef, ground pork, and/or ground lamb.

Cherry, where are you from? I am surprised to hear you are not familliar with meatballs. :)

PS: The Italian word is "polpette"
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I have to add my understanding that serving meatballs with pasta is probably an American invention.

Meatballs, or polpette, are generally found in southern Italy where they are served as a main course or in a soup.
Carmine

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

johnnyonthespot wrote:I have to add my understanding that serving meatballs with pasta is probably an American invention.
I agree.