Records from Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DJP1812
Rookie
Rookie

Records from Italy

Post by DJP1812 »

Hi All - Quick question,

I just received my first official record from Italy and have a concern. The record is a birth extract for a grandparent that I am using for my citizenship application. The piece of paper has no raised stamp, just a signature and two regular 'ink' stamps.

Will this suffice for my application? Does anyone know if Italy communes use a 'raised' stamp?

It is official since they sent it to me directly.

Thanks,
D
DJP1812
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Records from Italy

Post by DJP1812 »

Another issue is that it is just a typed letter... Not the actual birth certificate.

It is the Estratto per riassunto dai registri degli atti nascita.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

What you have is typical of the birth records from Italy. They are totally acceptable for citizenship purposes.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I also received the Estratto from Calabria for my fiancee's grand-father. I was surprised to see it in this form. When I did my own case ten years ago, I went over there to get my grand-father's birth certificate and the Sindaco typed it up right in front of me, slapped a stamp on it (not raised) and handed it to me. It was perfectly fine for the consulate, as is the Estratto.
DJP1812
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DJP1812 »

Thanks for the reassurance!!!!! I really appreciate the peace of mind!

-D
DJP1812
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DJP1812 »

Another thought.

I received two documents through email from an Italian commune. The commune told me that email is good enough for certification. They are a Birth Certificate and a Certificate of Italian Citizenship for my GGF.

Can I print these out and turn them in for my application? Both have stamps and are signed by an officer.

Thanks,
D