Military Memorial of Oslavia, WW1

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Josie07M11
Veteran
Veteran

Military Memorial of Oslavia, WW1

Post by Josie07M11 »

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to ask whether anybody knows anything about or has visited the Italian memorial site Oslavia, in Slovenia which is the final resting place for thousands of casualities who died fighting in WW1. (Particularly Italian soldiers.)

In the memorial there are the names of casualties written on the walls. I have searched many of the pictures that this kind person has posted, but cannot locate my great-grandfather Paolo Sulfaro who died on Monte Vodice, Gorizia, Slovenia on 22 May 1917. I emailed somebody in Slovenia about a register of killed soldiers but unfortunately they have only recently begun to compile this list and could only provide me with the following information (which is interesting in itself):
We have to inform you, that our register of the dead soldiers from the first world war, contains only soldiers who died and are buried on the upper part of the Isonzo front. Register containes names of 21.000 soldiers and represents approximately 10% of the entire soldiers losses from the Isonzo front. In the next years we are planing to extend our register also on the lower part of the front. You know quite a lot about your great grandfather. For Italian soldiers there are three major cemeterys (ossuarys) for the Isonzo front. The first is in Kobarid (Caporetto), the second at Oslavia (Oslavje) near Gorizia, and the third at Redipuglia. The soldiers who where buried on the old cemeterys from Log pod Mangartom to Gabrje were transported to the ossuary of Kobarid. It`s very likely that your geat grandfather was buried at Oslavia ossuary near Gorizia (if he war fighting for the Italian army). Mount Vodice ( 651m o.s.l) is located near Sveta Gora (Monte Santo in italian language) on the left bank of the So?a river between Plave and Nova Gorica.
This is a link to the photos that I found from the memorial: Oslavia

The reason for my posting this is to help anybody else who is looking for information on relatives that died fighting in the battles of the Insonzo and also to ask if there IS any register or list of names that somebody has created for those who are buried at the Oslavia Military Memorial.

Thanks,

Josie
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Military Memorial of Oslavia, WW1

Post by liviomoreno »

Josie07M11 wrote:Hi everybody,

I just wanted to ask whether anybody knows anything about or has visited the Italian memorial site Oslavia, in Slovenia which is the final resting place for thousands of casualities who died fighting in WW1. (Particularly Italian soldiers.)
Oslavia is in Italy.

Did you ask about Paolo Sulfaro to:

Commissariato Generale Onoranze Caduti in Guerra
Mail:info@onorcaduti.it
Tel. +390647355139, +390647355135, +390647354287
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

On the "Albo d'Oro" of the deceased men in the First World War you can see this about Paolo Sulfaro:

http://www.cadutigrandeguerra.it/Albo_O ... 21/505.jpg

Solfaro Paolo di Giuseppe, Soldato 248° Reggimento fanteria, nato il 25 ottobre 1882 a Messina, distretto Militare di Messina, disperso il 22 maggio del 1917 sul monte Vodice in combattimento.

So possibly his rest were never found and buried...

Laura
Josie07M11
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Josie07M11 »

Ciao Livio no i have not contacted them. Would they have the information about where he is buried?

And thank you Laura that is actually where I found the information about his death :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

You can try, but considering Laura's and your finding, I doubt they have any further news.
Josie07M11
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Josie07M11 »

That's ok thank you :)