Ship Manifest, Unable to Read for PUNZO

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Ship Manifest, Unable to Read for PUNZO

Post by PunzoNewHaven »

Hi,

This is such a great site! I have been trying to really do research on my surname, which is Punzo. I found where my Great Grandfather came over and came through Ellis Island. When I read the manifest I see his name: Catello Punzo, his age, 12 it says he's from Atriani, but was born in Salerno.Anyway the part I really need I can't read, the relative he was going to see, it looks to say father, but as far as I know his father did not come to America. Also the person above him, it says the exact same thing which looks to be father, Alexander? Has anyone else run into this problem?Is anyone good at deciphering the manifests?

Thanks so much,

Beth
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Ship Manifest, Unable to Read for PUNZO

Post by liviomoreno »

I read "Father Allevante Salvatore Gargano" and the person below Catello goes to see "Uncle Salvatore Gargano".

Allevante could be in Italian and "Father Allevante" is the person that is bringing him up, kind of putative father.
Just a guess...
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PunzoNewHaven »

liviomoreno wrote:I read "Father Allevante Salvatore Gargano" and the person below Catello goes to see "Uncle Salvatore Gargano".

Allevante could be in Italian and "Father Allevante" is the person that is bringing him up, kind of putative father.
Just a guess...
Wow! Thank you! I spent about 30 minutes trying to enlarge it and read it. So Catello and the other person who was no relation (that we know) were kind of "sponsored" by this man Gargano? Was that normal at the time? Does that also mean my link to Catello's real father ends there?
Researching Italian Surnames: Punzo, Ponzo, Mayo, Penza aka Panza, Polverari, Pucci and Proto.
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PunzoNewHaven »

Hi Guys and Ladies, an update I need some help with:

My questions are: above Livio helped me I am confused, what does Allevante mean? Stepfather? I really need the marriage cert. why did his wife not list Catello's REAL father _________ Punzo? Why Gargano?

Anyone have any ideas? I am so sad, I am thinking that his parents died or something happened for him to come here alone at age 12.

Today was a big day, finally got Catello's death certificate. They said the Marriage Cert would take a few days (they were busy.) I will post this in the forum too because I am really stuck.
Remember you found that Catello went to live with a Salvatore Gargano, well his first son's name was Salvatore, I thought a coincidence, now I don't think so. On Catello's death certificate info. given by wife, Louise, it states his real birthdate, town of Salerno.
BUT, guess who is listed as his father? Salvatore Gargano and for mother one of the names is blank (can't tell first or last) it says Luigia.
I am floored, I knew Gargano took care of him, but what happened to his real parents?
The lady in City Hall was confused, she said Gargano or Punzo? I said Punzo, she said then let me keep looking his father must be listed wrong, and I said NO, I know about that, it's the right one.

I can try to scan it in later, this is what it says:

Catello Punzo
Married
Wife: Louise Proto
Date of Death: March 4, 1949
Date of Birth: Jan. 22, 1884
Father: Salvatore Gargano
Mother:Luigia
Burial: March 7, 1949 St. Lawerence Cemetary
Informant: Mrs. Louise Punzo
then it goes cause of death, etc.
Thank you all!
Researching Italian Surnames: Punzo, Ponzo, Mayo, Penza aka Panza, Polverari, Pucci and Proto.
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PunzoNewHaven »

Quick update, Allevante means "rearing" so Salvatore was def. not his father.
I wrote to Italy almost two weeks ago via e-mail, no response at all, is that usual?

Thanks again!