Need help translating and names

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Jerseygirl33

Need help translating and names

Post by Jerseygirl33 »

Need assitanmce with Translation of this Marriage Certificate , I can not make out what the bride : Angela Di Giovanni's fathers name is. Any ideas what this reads as wel
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Need help translating and names

Post by maestra36 »

This is an act of matrimony from the register of the acts of matrimony for the year 1909, record #49, Part I of the register. From the town of Ribera, Province of Agrigento (Sicily)

The town official certifies that on May 16, 1909, marriage was contracted in Ribera between the following spouses: Giuseppe Alfano, the son of Ignazio (Alfano) and Anna Soldano and Angela Di Giovanni, the daughter of Calogero (Di Giovanni) and Mattia Buttafuoco.

The present copy was released on Sept 6, 1952.
Jerseygirl33

Post by Jerseygirl33 »

Is it customary that they use the mothers maiden name on these forms and not the married name? Do you know what my next step would be to finding out Angela Digiovannis parent, Parents?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Jerseygirl33 wrote:Is it customary that they use the mothers maiden name on these forms and not the married name? Do you know what my next step would be to finding out Angela Digiovannis parent, Parents?
In Italy women always retain their maiden name.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

You would need to get the marriage record of Calogero DiGiovanni and his wife Mattia Buttafuoco in order to learn the names of their parents. Towns will not do research for you and will probably only locate that marriage record if you can provide them with an estimated year of marriage. I have found that if the range is within 5 years, the town will normally find the record. If you give them no range or like a 20 year range, they won't bother trying to find the record. Unfortunately when you send for records from the town, you don't get information which you find in microfilmed records for the town. Do you have a birth record for Angela DiGiovanni? If you retrieved her record off of microfilm, you would get her parents' ages at birth. You might also be able to retrieve off of microfilm birth records for her siblings. This would then give you an idea of the year in which her parents married. On their marriage record, you would then find the names of each of their parents. If they were alive at the time of the marriage, you might also get their ages, which in turn will allow you find their birth records and their parents' names.

from the family history library catalog:

Registri dello stato civile di Ribera (Agrigento), 1821-1929

currently ancestry.com only has 1 year of marriage publications for the town of Ribera. Those are for the year of 1904. Since Angela married in 1909, it's possible she had a sibling who married in 1904 and that that sibling's record is on ancestry.com. I don't currently have a subscription to ancestry, but if you do, or know someone who does, possibly they could locate a sibling's record from the 1904 records and you might learn more info about her parents that way.

Peg
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Another post for this subject
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 20431.html
Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Jerseygirl33

Post by Jerseygirl33 »

maestra36-

Thanks for the help. Would you happen to know if those microfilms are available at a family search place here? I mean is it typical that the US has those same microfilm?

When I see a post that says microfilm ...... Is that the microfilm that I will ask for from the family search center? and some information I am seeking would be on that for that year range?

I am new to this but I am trying to learn everything as much as possible. Thanks in advance
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I see you are located in Florida. The following link will give you a list of family history centers in your state. You need to find one local to you and then physically go there in person to order microfilm. It costs about $5.50 a roll to rent and it will then be sent from the big Mormon Library in Salt Lake City to your local center. If the microfilm is not back ordered, then normally your local center will get it in two to three weeks and they will call you when it arrives. The centers though are staffed by volunteers, so the days and times they are open do vary. Once you find a center near you on the list, you should contact them to double check the times when they are open.

I know you are not going to want to hear this, but you might want to order the film for the marriage record that you got from the town to get additional information about the parents of the groom and bride, such as their ages. Then you could estimate their years of birth and possibly order their birth records to find their parents' names. Or you could order film which has birth records and try to find siblings of your Giuseppe and Angela. If you do that, they you could estimate the parents' year of marriage from that information. It's a tedious job to go through the microfilms, and I can't promise you that it will be easy, but it is the way to learn a lot about your ancestry, even things such as their occupations.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

on the link above, go to where it says library. Then in the drop down box you want two options-

to search for the center near you, click on family history centers and then put in your country, state, and city. This will give you the list of the centers in Fl. Then you can go back to the same drop down menu and click on library catalog. When that option comes up, do a place search. On the next screen put Ribera in the top box and Italy in the bottom box. Hit the search button which will take you to the next screen. Click on where it says Italy, Agrigento, Ribera-civil registration. Then click on the item which comes up on the next screen. On the next screen, click view film notes. Now you will get a list of microfilms available and microfilm numbers. You can then decide what film to order. When starting out, do not rent more than 1 or 2 films. If you can't read Italian at all, I would start with only one film. I know you'll be impatient, but it is best to familiarize yourself with the format of the microfilm and the records on the film. If you get lucky, there will be names in the margin of the records to help you find those with your surnames.