Gaetana in U.S.

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

Gaetana in U.S.

Post by oilman19 »

Is there an American version of the given name Gaetana?
I don't believe I have encountered this name being Americanized.

Thank you
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Gaetana in U.S.

Post by maestra36 »

Males with the name Gaetano go under the name Thomas or Guy. I am guessing the female version would be Thomasina.

Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
on the following website, they give Ida as the English equivalent of Gaetana. Personally though I have found the female Italian name Agata to be Ida in the U.S.

http://www.depworld.com/ghtout/ftnames.htm#G
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I'll try those names.

I have been trying to trace a family of cousins that settled in PA. The wife's name was Gaetana, but I have no surname and I believe she was from Italy.

The whole family seems to be elusive so far, but I will be persistent.

Thank you, Peg
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Since there is no annotation on Salvatore's (the husband) birth act, I am thinking they may have married in U.S.
Jim

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
My library's subscription to Heritage Quest allows me to search the census using first names only, but it doesn't allow for sound searches. Do you know where in Pa they lived? his last name? approximate years of birth? If too many hits come up when you do a search, then you can't see any of them.

Peg
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I looked back on some of my research, including this forum, and I have the 1930 census. She is still called Gaetana in 1930.
I simply cannot find her death record and I'm not sure I have found his death record. The children have seemed to disappear also.
It also looks like they did marry in Italy, but maybe she wasn't from S.M.C.V (no annotation).
Their marriage appears to be in 1911. Naturally, the Ancestry matrimoni records stop at 1910.
I was simply doing some housekeeping and I ended up trying some different approaches.
If you would like to see the original research, do a search on the forum for Salvatore Martire and you will see 2 threads of mine. I really have not made much progress from that point forward.

Thank you for your interest, Peg. :)
Jim