Parents of Nobile Schiavo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
redzinner

Parents of Nobile Schiavo

Post by redzinner »

Looking for parent names of a Nobile Schiavo born in Felitto 15 Sep 1868, died in Cincinnati, Ohio 3 Apr 1947. Death Certificate states parents 'not known'. Married to Matilde Minella in Italy before coming to the States.
Wanting to know if he is a brother or possibly cousin of 3 other Schiavos that settled in Cincinnati at the same time. No documents to connect Nobile to them, unfortunately.

The following 3 Schiavos are siblings based on death certificate information listing their parents as Dominic Schiavo and Stella Theresio (spelling differs on all 3).
Marie Schiavo Palmire 2 Feb 1857 - 01 May 1922
Pasquale Schiavo 10 Mar 1861 - 24 Nov 1946
Guiseppe Schiavo 3 Sep 1864 - 6 Aug 1935 married to Antonia Urti from Roccadaspide.

I can't seem to find ship manifests for Nobile's arrival although I have found his wife and several of his children.

Any help would be appreciated.
redzinner

Re: Parents of Nobile Schiavo

Post by redzinner »

I did see that passenger list, thank you. And that Schiavo is my great grandfather, Antonia Urti my ggrandmother and the Domenic age 4 is my grandfather, Denny. There is another Nobile Schiavo that is always living in the same neighborhoods in Cincinnati on the census. In fact I never knew my ggrandpa had Nobile in his name until I saw that list.
Question ... could there be two Nobile's (or any given name) for two children in the same family. I'm not all that familiar with the Italian customs of naming of children other than the oldest male being named after the grandfather.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Parents of Nobile Schiavo

Post by maestra36 »

I deleted what I posted because I realized that you were looking for the husband of Matilde and that the passenger list I saw was for the husband of Antonia. Interesting though is that 1868 is the estimated year of birth of the Nobile Giuseppe on that passenger list and not the 1864 date that you have for Antonia's husband.

Whether there could be two Nobile's in the same family is an interesting question because there are two Vincenzos in my husband's paternal grandfather's family and both were alive. Not all towns followed this naming pattern, but normally the first male child would be named for the paternal grandfather and the second male child for the maternal grandfather. If one of the sons died, then the next male child born would be given the first name of the deceased child. In my husband's grandfather's family, however, there were two Vincenzo's-one born in 1891 and another born in 1906. The first one was still alive when the second was born. In fact, the second Vincenzo died in 1921, but the first one did not die until 1943. So why this family had two sons with this same first name is a mystery to me. I thought that perhaps one was actually female, a Vincenza, and that there was an error in the records, but the birth and death records for the 1906 Vincenzo both had an o at the end of the name for Vincenzo and also stated they were males.

Peg