doing study abroad. am I covered?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

doing study abroad. am I covered?

Post by sceaminmonkey »

so I am doing a study abroad program this summer and am curious since I wont be a legal resident in italy but I will be a citizen will I be covered under the italian health system? my school provides insurance but I am just curious.

thanks
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: doing study abroad. am I covered?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Once again, ExpatsInItaly ( http://expatsinitaly.com/phpbbforum/viewforum.php?f=2 ) is probably a good place to ask this question.

My feeling: if you already have Italian citizenship, upon arrival in Italy you should immediately apply for residenza; once you have the certificato di resideza in hand, you then go to the local saniteria office to enroll in the national healthcare system, choose a primary care physician, etc.

There is an article on this subject here: http://expatsinitaly.com/node/104

I don't believe you can sign up for national healthcare unless you establish residency first.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Carmine is right. However once you have established residency you can ask for AIRE a special denomination for Italians living outside the country. You can then get resume your health coverage each time you visit and you even get to vote in the Italian elections. What other country gives its expats voting rights? Just the one governed by Berlusconi!
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

If you're a citizen you are fully covered under the national healthcare plan in Italy. You will have the benefits that every other Italian citizen has and you will be treated as if you were born there and always lived there. You will not be treated as an American citizen.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Italysearcher wrote: What other country gives its expats voting rights? Just the one governed by Berlusconi!
The one governed by Obama (Bush, Clinton, etc.) American expats also retain the right to vote in US elections.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Actually, Italian expats having the right to vote from overseas is relatively new, as compared with the length of time American expats have been allowed to cast absentee ballots.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Good grief! It always seemed wrong to me that persons who have no residency (and I'm not talking about military etc) and don't plan to return to their country of birth have the right to determine policy!
I left England in 1967 and emigrated in Canada. They don't let me vote in England and that's OK since I know nothing of their politics and issues these days.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Americans pay taxes wherever they are. As long as they're are on the tax roles, they should be on the voting roles as well, regardless of whether they plan to return to the USA.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Italians also pay taxes when living abroad. Bollo stamp in the passport is an example. They should also have the right to vote absentee.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

jennabet wrote:Americans pay taxes wherever they are. As long as they're are on the tax roles, they should be on the voting roles as well, regardless of whether they plan to return to the USA.
Otherwise, it would be taxation without representation. American colonists fought a war over that. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

A little off topic, but there were some demonstrators outside the post office last week. They were saying that the British Gov. financed the Civil War for the Confederacy. I never thought of this before but it does make perfect sense. They tried to break up our country. In that regard, Italy is much more like America than is Britain. The Brits share a language but that's about it. And remember, the Statue of Liberty was a gift from France, Italy's best partner in Europe.