Census image blues

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Stecchino

Census image blues

Post by Stecchino »

I went to my local Family History Center to look up census records for my grandparents and great-grandparents.

To make a long story short, I can't get my great-grandfather's census image to display, even though the index shows it.

If you search for Natalie Defrancisco (a misspelling of Natale DiFrancesco) in New Haven, CT in the 1930 census, you'll find a record. Trying to view the image brings up the wrong scan, and searching back and forth through the 36-image set didn't produce the correct one.

The index record says:
Year: 1930
Census Place: New Haven, New Haven, CT
Roll: 274
Page: 11A
Enumeration District: 3
Image 831.0

If anyone knows a way to find this census image, I'd greatly appreciate some guidance.
John DiFrancesco

"Aiuto dei clienti a trovare le carriere che sono appassionate, soddisfare, di successo, e ricompensare."

(Ma non parlo bene l'italiano.)
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Census image blues

Post by mfjp »

Yes! I see what you mean...!!! It does show up as a blank page...

The info here is for Enumeration District No. 5-1, Supervisors District No.5

I also went to page 35 and the info here is for District 5-2....

If you write to Ancestry.com maybe they can look it up for you... and correct their link at the same time...

Sorry you couldn't find your census record.

Wonder if there is a trick into finding the correct link... anyone know:?: :?:
Image source:   Year: 1930; Census Place: New Haven, New Haven, Connecticut; Roll: 274; Page: 11A; Enumeration District: 3; Image: 831.0.

mfjp
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

like mfjp i came up with the same results. the top right of the page in black lettering is a trouble shooting location. click onto that and you get a pop-up.

in case you are not aware of it there is a new line that allows you to access all the names that are on that sheet. click onto the site listed below and go forward.

good luck...............

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... 831&rank=0
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Thank you Juan! Yes that new feature of Family and neighbors does come in handy... Ancestry has already improved in few ways in recent months.

There is a Reference section of the census field that allows you to put in the microfilm roll # and the Enumeration District...

If there is a trick here of getting the correct district and viewable files... that would be a real bonus...

Obviously this is an Ancestry.com error and they would probably correct it if they knew about it...

mfjp

It's the immigration info that is so valuable - and only shown on the viewable file :? Stecchino, does a 1920 census exist?
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi,

If anyone out there has an active subscription to Genealogy.com the image should be able to be found. Last time I looked they didn't have an index for 1930, but with the citation information it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Just thought of it, but Heritage Quest should also be another good possibility. I am going to give it a try. Will take a little while, as I can only access that through dial up.

Debbie

Can anyone tell me what ward in New Haven. Need that to find it on Heritage Quest.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Ward 1
I looked on Heritage Quest. (image 20/57) Enumeration District 5-1, Supervisor District 5 page 10A next page (image 21/57) is ED 5-2 page 1A.

Must be page was microfilmed out of sequence. Must be there somewhere in order to be indexed. I have tried sending Ancestry an e-mail about a similar error. Got a reply that basically said thank you for reporting error and they will try and fix it in their next batch of corrections, may take months.

Not sure where to go next. These types of things are fustrating. Perhaps Genealogy. com will be more lucky.

Debbie
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I emailed Ancestry.com.... should be interesting to see if we do get any information...

Also went to the self help areas for finding missing links... etc.. quite the time waster as well... also viewed other "rolls" and no luck... could take forever... Thought I might as well learn how to use these features... and I tried, but don't have the same patience as I do for a ship's record... :?

So, you said it best Debbie
Perhaps Genealogy. com will be more lucky. ...

and

If anyone out there has an active subscription to Genealogy.com the image should be able to be found.

Debbie
Wishing you all a very Happy Easter!
Maria :P
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Stecchino wrote:I went to my local Family History Center to look up census records for my grandparents and great-grandparents.

To make a long story short, I can't get my great-grandfather's census image to display, even though the index shows it.

If you search for Natalie Defrancisco (a misspelling of Natale DiFrancesco) in New Haven, CT in the 1930 census, you'll find a record. Trying to view the image brings up the wrong scan, and searching back and forth through the 36-image set didn't produce the correct one.

The index record says:
Year: 1930
Census Place: New Haven, New Haven, CT
Roll: 274
Page: 11A
Enumeration District: 3
Image 831.0

If anyone knows a way to find this census image, I'd greatly appreciate some guidance.
Hi There,

I have the 1930 census for you. However, I'm not as good as Mfjp is with attching them to a link. I would have to email it to you.

Tell me if this is ok to do so.

Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Stecchino

Post by Stecchino »

That would be wonderful! Feel free to email me. (I have broadband so file size doesn't matter - the bigger the better!) :)
John DiFrancesco

"Aiuto dei clienti a trovare le carriere che sono appassionate, soddisfare, di successo, e ricompensare."

(Ma non parlo bene l'italiano.)
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Great find Brujaojos. Where did you find it?

Debbie
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Stecchino wrote:That would be wonderful! Feel free to email me. (I have broadband so file size doesn't matter - the bigger the better!) :)
Hi There,

This is double message. I sent the 1930 census to you via email. If you have a problem opening, maybe our dear sweet lovable Mfjp will be so kind as to post it like she has done in the past.:)

Also, Va-Deb, I have Genealogy.com as well as Ancestry. If you need a look up, let us know. Between me an Mfjp, we'll get it for you!

Have a good one.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
our dear sweet lovable Mfjp
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: would also like to know which service is better....

Ancestry.com or Genealogy.com??? (no $ for both :evil: )

thanx!
mfjp :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

mfjp wrote::twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
our dear sweet lovable Mfjp
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: would also like to know which service is better....

Ancestry.com or Genealogy.com??? (no $ for both :evil: )

thanx!
mfjp :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
Hi Mfjp,

I meant the dear lovable sweet mfjp too.:) I'm not a pro at putting those census online as fast as you can. I was tickled pink when I learned how to make webpages, but still can't do java.:(

Any way, Ancestry.com is by far the best when it comes to census and information. It is expensive, but you can do soundex and it has tons of other information on it. Genealogy.com cannot do soundex.

I hope this answers your questions.
Smile for me! :D
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum