Santa Flavia / Potinello

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Santa Flavia / Potinello

Post by Tessa78 »

Took another look, and I think you are correct that Salvatore is going to his BROTHER Giuseppe... and line above is Brother-in-law...

T.
GOONKA

Post by GOONKA »

One could assume than that it's his sisters husband, as you suggested. NOW to find out the sisters name :)

I can find nothing on a Guiseppe Crisci in MKE even though he says he stayed with him. Very frustrating. I did find a 'Joseph' Crisci, but it would appear to be too young to be him (b 1897) so still looking for that connection!

UPDATE: just found a Guiseppe Crisci 1906 arrival (previous crossings list 1901/1905) and listing brother Salvatore in MKE as where he is going to. Guiseppe's name is stamped NON-IMMIGRANT ALIEN - any special meaning?
GOONKA

Post by GOONKA »

Tessa78 wrote:Another manifest in 1912, March 29 (right after birth of Vincenzo?)

Salvatore is married and age 25, from Santa Flavia, leaving wife Grazia Sanfilippo in Porticello...
Going to brother Giuseppe Crisci in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Stated that he was in US in 1903 and 1907 also.
I just found another manifest showing Grazia with 3mos old Vincenzo, and a (possible brother?) Matteo Sanfilippo coming to the US 14 JUN 1912 - listed as relative in native country, it says: Crivello, Francesca mother S Flavia

I am kind of excited that perhaps I may have just found her mothers name in addition to a brother - was it common for the women to retain their maiden names in Italy? I know this was done in Scotland in many regions and knowing that Grazia is not using the name Crisci UNTIL she comes to the US for good in 1929 could mean a few things: (she also changed her name via court order to Grace at that time as well, per the naturalization card you posted, so interesting info!) it was custom to not use the husbands surname; they were NOT married (the children are listed as Sanfilippo on several passings) OR because they were possibly married in the US that her family did not acknowledge her marriage (or perhaps Italy law?) at that time.

Any thoughts on these ideas ?
theresam103069

Post by theresam103069 »

My great great grandparents were Francesco SanFilippo and Antonina Crivello who had a son named Matteo, my great uncle.
GOONKA

Post by GOONKA »

theresam103069 wrote:My great great grandparents were Francesco SanFilippo and Antonina Crivello who had a son named Matteo, my great uncle.

Do you know if your g-g-grandmothers name included a 'Francesca' within it at all? and if the same Matteo, would have been born about 1895 - does that seem close/similar? and where did your great uncle live?
josephmis1

Post by josephmis1 »

My grand father was also Guiseppe Crisci . He died in 1960..I reviewed crossings fro 1901 to 1913 I am not sure if it is him , I also found a 1919 crossing I am sure is him. However, I know that was not his first trip.. I believe he was born in US and went back to italy .
josephmis1

Post by josephmis1 »

GOONKA wrote: 13 Feb 2011, 18:40 One could assume than that it's his sisters husband, as you suggested. NOW to find out the sisters name :)

I can find nothing on a Guiseppe Crisci in MKE even though he says he stayed with him. Very frustrating. I did find a 'Joseph' Crisci, but it would appear to be too young to be him (b 1897) so still looking for that connection!

UPDATE: just found a Guiseppe Crisci 1906 arrival (previous crossings list 1901/1905) and listing brother Salvatore in MKE as where he is going to. Guiseppe's name is stamped NON-IMMIGRANT ALIEN - any special meaning?
My Grand father was born in 1900 or 01 not sure ...I think he was born ib NY went to italy and came back in either August or September 1906 . Went back to italy came back married to my grand mother in 1919 to stay
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You might be interested in this site about Manifest Markings - regarding your inquiry about "non-immigrant alien"
Specifically paragraph 2 under "Head Tax Column"

https://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/other/

T.