Buffo-Fenoglio Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Lablover03

Buffo-Fenoglio Family

Post by Lablover03 »

I have been researching my grandfather's Buffo family for the past year. I can find many ancestors for his mother (Veronica Catterina Fenoglio) She was from Prascorsano, Torino, Piemonte, Italy. Veronica married Antonio (Anton) Buffo in 1889 in the US. There are many many Buffo's from this area as well, but no Antonio. I am having difficulty locating any records for Antonio (Anton) Buffo prior to the 1900 US Census. I know he came to America in 1885. Any help I could get trying to find any records to trace his parents, grand parents etc would be greatly appreciated. I know he left the US and returned to Italy about 1906 without Veronica.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Buffo-Fenoglio Family

Post by adelfio »

Is this your greatgrand father living in California in 1930 with his wife and motherinlaw Francis Ravassa
Name: Antonie Buffo
Home in 1930: San Jose, Santa Clara, California
View Map
Estimated birth year: abt 1868
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Caterina Buffo
Race: White

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Antonie Buffo 62
Caterina Buffo 51
Frances Ravassa

Marty A
Lablover03

Post by Lablover03 »

Marty, thanks for the info. The Anton (Antonio) Buffo I am looking for lived with his wife Veronica (Feronica) and 4 children in the Joliet-Chicago area. I can find them in the 1900 census. They are not listed anywhere in the 1910 Census, and only Veronica is listed in the 1920 (along with her children). I would like to try to find Antonio's immigration record (1885) but I cannot find his name on any ship manifests. Where does one look for passengers prior to 1895?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Did they reside in California or somewhere else it would help alot in the researching
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Lablover03

Post by Lablover03 »

This is what I know: Antonio (Anton) came to the US about 1885. In 1889, he married Veronica who came that year. They lived in Braceville, Grundy County. They eventually went to the Joliet, Illinois area. About 1906 Antonio left Veronica and the children in the Joliet area and never returned to the United States. I remember my grandfather (Anton's son) telling me that when he was 14 or 15 he returned to Italy with his mother to settle an estate. My uncle believes that may have been Anton's. I have searched Ancestory.com, LDS site, etc and cannot find any birth records for Antonio Buffo in Italy. My aunt and uncle do not know if Antonio had any brothers or sisters as no one really talked about Antonio (Anton). I am hoping to find any information about his brothers, sisters, or other relatives so that I might find information on Antonio (Anton) parents.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

For reference point here is th3 1900 census
Name: Anton Buffo
Home in 1900: Braceville, Grundy, Illinois
[Braceville, Grundy, Illinois]
Birth Date: Apr 1862
Immigration Year: 1886
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's name: Feronica Buffo
Marriage Year: 1889
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 11
Anton Buffo 38
Feronica Buffo 27
Jennie Buffo 6
Mary Buffo 4
Anton Buffo 2
Also naturalization Nov 5 1892 in Morris Illlinois
witness Ralph Peacemaker and Pete Perrici
They all worked as coal miners
1920 census shows Veronica is a widow there mother head of house is Anton jr
Name: Veronica Buffo
Home in 1920: Joliet Ward 5, Will, Illinois
Estimated birth year: abt 1875
Relation to Head of House: Mother
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Widowed
[Widow]
Sex: Female
Year of immigration: 1890
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Anton Buffo 21 son
Bernice Buffo 19 daughter in law
Veronica Buffo 45 mother
Johanna Fenolio 68 grandmother
Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Do you have Veronica Buffo death record from illinois
website
http://www.ilsos.gov/GenealogyMWeb/IDPH ... rchServlet
Do you think that Anton came from Prascorsano, Torino, Piemonte, Italy
Marty

/

Marty
Lablover03

Post by Lablover03 »

Thanks Marty! I did not know that Anton became a US citizen. I have Veronica's death certificate and I found record of her and Anton's marriage - 5-18-1891 but they have his name listed in the records as BUFFO, AUTOGNO, but my sister and I have a commemorative medal from The Torino Chamber of Commerce in Piedmonte with Antonio Buffo inscribed on it, so I am sure he is from Piedmonte region.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

You could write to Torino for records here is there address
Comune di Torino
Piazza Palazzo di Città, 1
10122 Torino (TO)
Italy
Website for writing letters for italian records
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html
Website all about italian records
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Italy_ ... al_Records
website about reading records
http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/ ... ion_Guide/

Marty A

Marty
Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maurizio »

Hi, Lablover.
I live close to the area where your ancestors came.
Buffo is a not uncommon surname in a few villages of this part of the Province of Turin: luckily for you, Prascorsano is one of them. According to Italian general phone listing, there are actually (at least) 12 individuals or family with surname Buffo currently living in Prascorsano.
If I were in your sh.oes, I'd definitely address my research in Prascorsano rather/before than elsewhere, for a couple of reasons:
1) If I correctly understood, your ggmother came to Us and immediately afetr she married Antonio Buffo: that means she probably already knew him, as it could happen if the two grew up together in the same village.
2) Prascorsano was and still is a small village: performing a research in its Registers shouldn't take too much time. If you're lucky, maybe one of the clerk of the City Hall may do that for you.

Only my two cents, but I hope they may help.
Ciao,
Maurizio

P.S.: Here is a link to the web page where you can leave a message to the major.
comune.prascorsano.it

And here is the email address for the specific officer in charge of Vital Records.
demografici@comune.prascorsano.to.it
Lablover03

Post by Lablover03 »

Maurizio -

Thank you thank you thank you! That is very very helpful and I will send an email. I hope when I use Google Translate it will translate well into Italian.

I have read that Fenoglio and Buffo are very common in that area. I really appreciate all your help!

Karen
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Karen you should try a form letter heres the website
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

Marty A

Marty
Lablover03

Post by Lablover03 »

Thanks Marty, I used that letter as a template and added a few personal touches . . . . :)
Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maurizio »

Lablover03 wrote:Maurizio -

Thank you thank you thank you! That is very very helpful and I will send an email. I hope when I use Google Translate it will translate well into Italian.
Karen
Hi, Karen.
I wouldn't trust too much on web based-translators: to a native speaker, results generally appear to be funny rather than accurate. But if you write in plain English, that should be enough: even if only at a basic level, your language is studied by everyone here at school.
Otherwise, if you desire, I can eventuallly give a look to your italian translation before you sent it.
Have a nice day.
Ciao,
Maurizio
rick

Post by rick »

Hello, my mother is Irma Johanna Fenoglio. Her Father (my Gpa) is John Batista Fenoglio and his Father (my GGpa) is Luigi Fenoglio (Veronica was Luigi's sister). I believe her 4 children names... Jennie, Maria, Antonio and James Buffo. Don't know much about the Buffo's prior to Veronica but do have history on the Fenoglio's prior.