Looking for Parish Records,Birth,Rec. in Matera,Matera,Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Domenichiello

Looking for Parish Records,Birth,Rec. in Matera,Matera,Italy

Post by Domenichiello »

Hi, I am trying to find Birth records,marriage Records and Death Records for the Town of Matera in Basilicata.

I have been looking everywhere but can't find any records for the Town of Matera,Basilicata,Italy

The surname that I am looking for is Domenichiello.

If anyone can help please let me know.

Thank you and God Bless.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Parish Records,Birth,Rec. in Matera,Matera,I

Post by adelfio »

I see there is a post about this subject
click on the prompt next line for info
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... iello.html
THere are other ways one is to write or email the comune of Matera here is the info you need
Postal Addess
Comune di Matera
Via Ridola Domenico, 67
75100 Matera (MT)
Italy
email address
www.comune.matera@cert.ruparbasilicata.it
Writing a letter to italy click on the next line
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html
Letters or emails have to be in italian to get a responce usually.
Good luck
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Lousdepot
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lousdepot »

who's records are you looking for? some of the civil records for basilicata are on ancestry.. if you dont have an account i can look them up for you.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Ancestry.com does not currently have online records for the city of Matera in Matera Province. Currently there is only one other town in that province online.

There are microfilmed records for the town, as well as for the province, which contain the town's records. These would have to be rented through a local family history center. The earlier records for the town are set up as processetti, which are marriage packages. Sometimes there are cover sheets between the records for one couple and those for another, but at other times, there aren't, which can make locating a couple's marriage package difficult. If you find marriage processetti for your ancestor though, you could get birth records, death records for parents or previous spouses, etc).

Peg
Lousdepot
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lousdepot »

i stand corrected
Domenichiello

Post by Domenichiello »

Lousdepot wrote:who's records are you looking for? some of the civil records for basilicata are on ancestry.. if you dont have an account i can look them up for you.

Thank you very much everyone.

I have used the free trial on ancestry.com I had no luck finding anything about the Domenichiello name. But if you can the names I am looking for are:

Francesco Domenichiello
Antonio Domenichiello
Giuseppe Domenichiello

Thank you very much.
Domenichiello

Post by Domenichiello »

maestra36 wrote:<a href="/http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a> does not currently have online records for the city of Matera in Matera Province. Currently there is only one other town in that province online.

There are microfilmed records for the town, as well as for the province, which contain the town's records. These would have to be rented through a local family history center. The earlier records for the town are set up as processetti, which are marriage packages. Sometimes there are cover sheets between the records for one couple and those for another, but at other times, there aren't, which can make locating a couple's marriage package difficult. If you find marriage processetti for your ancestor though, you could get birth records, death records for parents or previous spouses, etc).

Peg

Hi Maestra36 I have used the Family Search .org website I found the Domenichiello name but I can't connect them to my family. According to the web site these records are found in Foggia,Italy.

What i know is that my Great-Great-Grandfather was Born in Matera,Matera,Italy. I also never heard in our family of anyone coming from Foggia,Italy. these records on the site are interesting but puzzling.

I was thinking the only way to find out anymore information is to go to Italy and view the records from the Church in Matera.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I think what you found on the family search website was information in the IGI, International Genealogical Index, or Ancestral file, put there by others researching the surname. What I am talking about are the microfilmed records from the town and province-birth, marriage, and death records.

Registri dello stato civile di Matera (Matera), 1809-1929

Registri dello stato civile di Matera (Provincia), 1809-1925
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp

do a place search. Put Matera in the top box and Italy in the bottom box
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Just for your information. I have done all of my own research from the town of Stigliano, also in the province of Matera, off of microfilms available for rental through a local family history center. It is a time consuming process, and can certainly get expensive, but you will find the information about your family that way, if you are persistent

Even though I have been to Italy twice, I have never done research while there, nor have I ever been to any of the towns whose records I have researched on microfilm

Peg
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Click on this prompt it will tell you about the films and Family Search Library
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Orderi ... ory_Center
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Domenichiello

Post by Domenichiello »

Thank you everyone, I will take a look at the microfilms at a local family center.

God Bless.
Domenichiello

Post by Domenichiello »

I am curious, how long would it take to look through one microfilm, do you sit in a room and look at them on a projected screen?