"Swiss De Meuron Regiment"

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gmglory

"Swiss De Meuron Regiment"

Post by gmglory »

Hello All,

I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if I am asking questions that have already been answered. Our ancestor is Jean Baptiste Soubrero/Sobrero (Giovanni Batiste?). This is what we know:

Jean-Baptiste : soldier #1882 native of Turin,Italy, five feet 6 inches, enrolled in the 6th Company on 27 November 1808 at the age of twenty and released on June 4, 1816 in Montreal according to the Livre du Regiment de Meuron."

Apparently, these soldiers were trying to escape from the service of the Napoleonic armies.

Jean Baptiste eventually migrated to the Red River Settlement, located in present day Manitoba/ Winnepeg, Canada. We found an index of marriages performed by Jesuit priests at St. Boniface, Manitoba, Canada stating that he married in 1818. All vital records are reported to have been destroyed due to a fire at St. Boniface in 1862. This would include birth records of his children, also. Therefore, all hopes of finding which town or village that Jean Baptiste was christened in is lost.

We have corresponded with some Sobrero families that have immigrated to the USA, but their arrival was 50 years after our ancestors arrival, and they could not offer any assistance.

According to the LDS.org site, there are one of two Sobrero families documented in the Turin, Piedmont Region of Italy.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where else we can research more extensively?
Csobre

Re: "Swiss De Meuron Regiment"

Post by Csobre »

Hello,
My name is Carlo Sobrero and I live in nw italy in the countryside near Torino.
I am a md dds dental surgeon.
I think my family has the ancestor you are looking for.
Jean-Baptiste Sobrero was from Ceretto (30km south of Turin) born in last decades of 1700.
I have a complete genealogic tree of my family (abt 80 entries) from begining of 1800 to nowadays. I composed it searcing in old documents from my family to church handwritten archives.
Let me know if you are still interested in.
My email is csobre@gmail.com
Please reply directly because i never browse this forum. Thanks

Carlo
ddsuarez

Post by ddsuarez »

I too have an ancestor from Turin who was in the De Meuron Regiment. His name was Joseph Levis, born circa 1782, Remeast, Turin, Piemonte, Italy. Father Antoine Levi's, born circa 1750, mother Dominica Patras.
I have been unable to find any further information concerning the parents, or even if the family name and place of birth are in fact correct.
A copy of his marriage certificate is available. He married Clemence Jussaume in Montreal Quebec on May 16, 1814.
If anyone has information concerning this ancestor, I would welcome it.
Dianne Despault
ddsuarez@charter.net
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
randersnmt

Post by randersnmt »

I'm not sure if posting to an old thread will get me any information, but I'm looking for a friend's ancestor who settled in Quebec before 1816 (he was married there then) and was a part of the de Meuron regiment. His name is Jean Casagrande, but I have been unable to find any other information other than that on his nationality, etc. I assume if he were Italian he'd be Giovanni. Since this regiment was Swiss, it's also possible he'd have been an Italian Swiss.