Praiano in Cortale

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dobbygog

Praiano in Cortale

Post by dobbygog »

I am looking for info regarding my Great Grandfather's family. His name was Vincenzo Praiano from Cortale, Italy. Does anyone else love the Praianos like I do? I've exhausted all of my local resources, and am looking for new sources of info.
vj
Master
Master

Re: Praiano in Cortale

Post by vj »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum :D !
What type of information are you looking for?
US records?
Help with Italian record research?
Thank you!
Valarie
dobbygog

Post by dobbygog »

Valarie:

Thanks for your reply. You asked what I am I looking for. I guess what we're all really looking for...someone who still lives in Cortale (or nearby) and could give me information about living relatives. I'm traveling there this Fall, and am hoping to connect with family. I haven't found much info about anyone looking at the 'Praiano' line, so it would be great to find out what happened to two of the brothers, Domenico and Giovanni, who supposedly went to back to Italy after coming to America.

Thanks.

Dobbygog
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello Dobbygog!
This may help you locate family currently living in Italy.
Valarie

White pages:
http://www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html

Form Letter to a Possible Relative
and
LDS Family Search Letter Writing Guide
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I would also check out the following site - Cathy, the webmaster has done some research on Cortale families. Maybe you can find something than can help you there.

Catanzaro Exchange
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nolagirl

Post by nolagirl »

Hi Dobbygog,

I just saw your posting on Praianos in Cortale. My great-grandmother was a Praiano in Cortale. Her name was Ippolita Praiano she was married to Pasquale Antonio Rocca, my great-grandfather. Both of them were born, raised and died in Cortale. Their only living child, my grandfather, Raffaele Rocca, came to the US through Ellis Island in 1904.

I have info on Ippolita's father and mother, and both sets of her grandparents. I only know of one sibling of Ippolita's that is Francesco Praiano.

I went to Cortale in June and got some of the info. There are no Praianos left in Cortale.

Please let me know if you want anymore info or if this sounds like it could be part of your Praiano family.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

PS I'm posting a picture of my grandfather and his parents taken in 1890 or 1981 in Cortale. Maybe there is some family resemblance.
batwood56

Post by batwood56 »

Hello nolagirl,

I am also interested in the Praiano's from Cortale. Dobbygog is an extended family member, has recently welcomed a new baby into their home and has not been able to keep up with this forum.

I have been researching the Praiano's using the Stato Civile 1809-1861 records for Cortale available through the LDS FHL. I do not have any information on your Ippolita since she was probably born after the records I have researched, however, I would be very interested in the information you have for her parents and grandparents. Would you mind posting that information so we can see if there is some connection?

Thanks
nolagirl

Post by nolagirl »

Hi batwood56,

Thanks for writing. Glad to see your a relative of Dobbygog and the reason he hasn't been back to the forum. Sometimes theres just no time to fit everything in we want to do!

Here's the info I have on Ippolita's family:

Ippolita born was born on 10/6/1848 and I found a brother, Francesco born on 8/30/1854. Their parents were Giuseppe Carmelo Praiano, 6/27/1820 and Maria Palma Pirritano (1826). They were married on 5/2/1845.

Giuseppe's parents were Vito Paiano (born about 1787) and Maria Tolone (born about 1794).

Maria Palma Pirritano had a brother, Antonio born in 1841. Their parents were Giuseppe Pirritano and Ippolita Cosceitobile (although this spelling may be wrong.)

I have copies of birth records and marriage banns announcements to back up this research.

Please let me know if any of this ties into the research you have done.

Thanks again!
batwood56

Post by batwood56 »

Hi Nolagirl,

Additional information I have found on the Vito Praiano and Maria Tolone family researching the Stato Civile records.
Children:
Santa Praiano - Born 29 Oct 1812, Died 13 Dec 1829, both Cortale
Elisabetta Praiano - Born 20 July 1815
Francesco Praiano - Born 16 Apr 1818
Giuseppe Carmelo Praiano - Birth Certificate lists date of birth as 28 Jan 1820

Francesco Praiano (1818) Family:
Wife - Catarina Cartolaro - Born about 1823
Children:
Vito Praiano - Born 3 Dec 1839
Maria Praiano - Born 2 May 1842
Michele Praiano - Born 18 Feb 1844
Felicia Praiano - Born 3 Mar 1846
Giuseppe Praiano - Born 1 Dec 1848
Teresa Praiano - Born 30 Sep 1851
Pietro Praiano - Born 23 Mar1854
Elisabetta Praiano - Born 12 Apr 1856
Palma Praiano - Born 17 Apr 1859
Santa Praiano - Born 19 Apr 1861

Giuseppe Carmelo Praiano (1820) Family
Wife: Palma Pirritano
Children:
Maria Praiano - Born 10 Mar 1846
Ippolita Praiano - Born 6 Oct 1848
Giovanni Praiano - Born 22 Jun 1852
Francesco Praiano - Born 30 Aug 1854
Maria Praiano - Born 11 Oct 1858

My Praiano line does not connect to Vito Praiano. However, Domenico Praiano (Abt 1773) who is my direct ancestor, is a contemporary of Vito and may be a brother, cousin, ??. Still searching to find a connection.

Hope this helps. Do you have any other information about other Praianos?