Has my mother received the citizenship if I got it?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
pats

Has my mother received the citizenship if I got it?

Post by pats »

Hi,

I'm Peruvian but live in the UK. I qualified for Jure Sanguinis citizenship through my mother's family and applied and got my citizenship in the Italian consulate in London in May 2010.

My mother lives back in Peru and citizenship appointments take years there (no kidding, she requested an appointment in 2007 and dates for her ticket number have not been allocated yet so she is still waiting, today 2011, for an appointment date).

Has my mother gotten the citizenship if I got it through her? Or can generations actually be skipped? If she got it, is there any document that supports it? I'm just wondering if she could get such document and go to the Italian consulate in Peru directly for a passport.

Many thanks in advance for any guidance you could give!
Patricia
mler
Master
Master

Re: Has my mother received the citizenship if I got it?

Post by mler »

Since you obtained citizenship in London, you have demonstrated that your mother qualifies for citizenship recognition as well. However, the citizenship of ascendants is not recognized automatically. She must submit her application.

I would suggest that you try to get your case number from the London consulate. Since the London consulate is less busy than the consulate in Peru, you can ask them what information would be required for your mother to get her own citizenship recognized. The London consulate can supply you with your case number, but they may also be willing to issue a statement that your citizenship was recognized through your mother's line. With this, your mom may be able to bypass the waiting list.

There are no guarantees, of course, but I would give it a try.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

this might sound crazy but....... since EU law allows non EU family members ( your mom in this case) to live with their family legally within the EU , I would try establishing some sort of residency for her In the UK and then book her an appointment there. in the mean time she can chill back in peru if she wants and come back when her appointment date is I doubt the italian consulate will check with UK authorities to see if she has been staying there. whats the UK italian consulate wait time like? and Im sure her visa to stay there will be enough proof of residency for the consulate. Any thoughts from anyone else are welcome and please feel free to tell me if it sounds stupid!
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Changing residency for the purpose of applying at a more efficient consulate is never a bad idea. If your mom applies in the consulate through which you obtained your own citizenship, things will move very quickly. But if a move is not an option, I think you'll still be able to expedite her application with some help from Londonl.