Francesco Acquisto

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Sangerine
Rookie
Rookie

Francesco Acquisto

Post by Sangerine »

Hi,
Once again I'm turning to you for help. I sent a letter to Alcamo, Italy (I did the letter in Italian with the help from a website that translates). I received an answer that they have no record of my grandfather's birth. I then found where he might be from Girgenti, Casteltermini but I can't find an address to write to. Can you help?
Thank you.
Sandi
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Francesco Acquisto

Post by maestra36 »

Here's an email address. You may want to email first to see if they have a record of your ancestor

stato.civile@comune.casteltermini.ag.it (no spaces in the email address)

Girgenti is the Province of Agrigento

do you have a date of birth for your grandfather or an approximate year of birth? do you know his parents' names?

Peg
Sangerine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sangerine »

Hi,
Thank you everyone for your fast reply. My grandfather Francesco Acquisto's birthdate was Oct. 8, 1890 and I think his mother's name was Carmela, maiden name unknow, his father's name might have been Carmen. He had two brothers, Salvatore, Joseph or Vincent. He married Anora or Aurora Soriero. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Sandi
r24man@aol.com
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

This should be his passenger list information, in case you don't already have it. View it at www.ellisislandrecords.org or at www.stevemorse.org

First Name: Francesco
Last Name: Acquisto
Ethnicity: South Italian
Last Place of Residence: Casteltermini, Agrigento
Date of Arrival: Sep 23, 1913
Age at Arrival: 19y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Taormina
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0005

His father's name is given as Pietro on the manifest. He was traveling with a brother named Gaetano, 10 years older than him, to the brother Salvatore Box 454 Scranton Pa. The brother's wife in the town of Italy was Aurora Acquisto.

Their place of birth and last residence is given as Casteltermini in Agrigento Province, Sicily.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Since we now know that he had an older brother with the first name Gaetano, it's possible that the following information is for Franceso's father's family. This Pietro is not the father of your Francesco since he was born and died in 1849, as an infant, but possibly this is another Pietro born to Francesco's father's parents. Once a child died, if another male was born, and that name was important to the family (such as the name of the father's father or mother's father, then another son would be given the same first name. So the information below may have been for a Pietro born to this couple before your Francesco's father was born.

Name: Pietro Acquisto
Burial Date:
Burial Place:
Death Date: 08 Oct 1849
Death Place: Casteltermini, Agrigento, Italy
Birth Date: 1849
Birthplace: Castelmini
Race:
Marital Status: Unknown
Spouse's Name:
Father's Name: Gaetano
Father's Birthplace:
Mother's Name: Lucia Lupo
Mother's Birthplace:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: B74030-5
System Origin: Italy-EASy
Source Film Number: 1467076
Reference Number: p 98 cn 209
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

This is additional information for the Pietro above which gives the ages of the parents and his date of birth and christening

Name: Pietro Acquisto
Baptism/Christening Date: 13 Jul 1849
Baptism/Christening Place: Casteltermini, Agrigento, Italy
Birth Date: 13 Jul 1849
Birthplace: Casteltermini, Agrigento, Italy
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Gaetano Acquisto
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age: 30y
Mother's Name: Lucia Lupo
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age: 26y
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C74030-5
System Origin: Italy-EASy
Source Film Number: 1467076
Reference Number: yr 1849 rn 130
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

That's all I can find online at the moment. You need to email the town to see if you can verify the names of your Francesco's parents, since I don't know if the information, other than the passenger list, is for your Francesco's family. Since you have Francesco's date of birth, the town should help you with information concerning the names of his parents.

Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I just found a World War II draft registration card for a Frank Acquisto living at 691 S. Clinton Avenue in Trenton NJ. His wife's name is given as Mary on the card. The date of birth is Oct 8, 1889, so I am inclined to believe that this could be your ancestor, but you would have to verify this. He was self employed, according to the card.

you can view this card on www.familysearch.org under the following category:

* United States, World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
Sangerine
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Francesco Acquisto brithdate Oct. 8, 1890

Post by Sangerine »

Hi,
My grandfather Francesco Acquisto's copy of his death certificate (Trenton, N.J.) shows his father's name as Carmen and his mother's name as Carmela, maiden name unknown. My grandfather married twice. 1st wife Anora Soriero; 2nd wife Mary DeLucia. Anora Soriero died when my mother (Stella Acquisto) was abt. 5 years old. Francesco Acquisto married Mary DeLucia Feb. 1923, Trenton, N.J. The draft card that reads Frank Acquisto is correct. They did live at 691 So. Clinton Ave., Trenton, N.J. I remember my aunt telling me grandfather had two brothers, Salvatore, Vincent or Joseph. She also told me that one or both brothers lived in Bayonne, N.J. once they arrived in this Country.
Where do I go from here? Like I said I tried many web sites. I'm waiting for a reply to my letter I sent to Comune di Casteltermini. My other question is should I wait for a reply or try to e-mail them. Also, one web site suggested adding a few dollars in with the letter, other say don't. Which is correct?
Sandi
r24man@aol.com
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Towns in Italy, as a rule, do not charge for record copies, although some are starting to do so. Always best to request the records and possibly send a self-addressed (but not stamped) envelope with your mailed request. If the town requires money, it will let you know.

If you sent the letter to the town more than 30 days ago, you could follow up with an email. Some on this forum, however, have waited for records for months, but in Italy supposedly civil offices are supposed to respond within 30 days.

Peg
pdchenderson13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pdchenderson13 »

Hello there.
Sorry to gatecrash your post, but the name caught my interest. My paternal Great Grandmother was called Crocifissa Aquiesto, who came from Canicatti area I believe, which is not too far from Casteltermini. I wonder if there is any connection? She married Carmelo Virzi, and had 2 daughters, Maria and Calogera, and one son Calogero.

Maria Virzi is my paternal grandmother (Nonna)

Any thoughts?

Patrizia
Grazie Patrizia
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I did a little looking for the possible birth record of Francesco Acquisto abt 1890 in Casteltermini and came up with this in 1889 birth acts

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/893/francescoacq.jpg

Birth of Francesco Acquisto born Aug 17 1889 presented by Salvatore Acquisto age 42? mother Carmela Castiglione

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tap Con

Post by Tap Con »

Sorry I came across this conversation.

Im Pat Acquisto from Toronto, Canada.

My fathers name is Gaetano Acquisto Born in Castelterminie Sicily. His father's name was Pietro Acquisto also from Casteltermini Sicily. There must be some relation?
Sangerine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sangerine »

Hi,
I've seen your father's name on the ellis island manifest when looking for my family. It seems there might be a connection but I'm not sure how. Maybe with continued research we'll learn if there is.