Lanteri in Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Lizzybe

Lanteri in Sicily

Post by Lizzybe »

hi, I am looking for information on how the Lanteri's got to Sicliy and if anyone knows of this line of Lanteri's.
I believe my grandfather came from Lercara Friddi near Palermo but emigrated to NYC- early last century I know he was in NYC in 1920 when he married. My grandmother was a Giordiano apparently from the same area - But I can't verify that although she was in sicily but left at about 16yrs old for NYC.
I am only just starting and I know I have a long way to go so any informaton is most appreciated.

also I came across this sitehttp://alelia.lanteri.free.fr/index-us.html
for anyone who may have Lanteri's in the French Alps it is full of history about the name which is very old and of noble origin.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Lanteri in Sicily

Post by adelfio »

Back then Lercara Friddi had a huge sulphur mines so many italians migrated for work back then also Palermo area was a huge Tuna fishery which brought alot of people to that area also. Do you have your grandfathers ship manifest?
Marty
Lizzybe

Post by Lizzybe »

thank you. My family weren't in the mines or fishing industry as far as I know but its good to know those were the industries that lead people to the area for employment. My great grandfather was a barber as was my grandfather, my grandmother who was a Giordano (also from sicily) her father was a tailor but died very young as did her mother so she was virtually orphaned at the age of 15-16 and with her younger brother came to NYC on a ship. I have seen the ship manifest from Elis island its thrilling and emotional to think of them so young on such a journey. They are long gone but were such wonderful people. I am only sad it never occurred to me to find out about our history!
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

You know, the staff in the Civil records office in Lercara Friddi are very hekpful. If you have an approximate date of birth or marriage they would very helpful in searching out the information.

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Lercara Friddi
Via Vittorio Emanuele II, 35
90025 LERCARA FRIDDI PA
ITALY

Write only in Italian please. Sample letters can be found at:

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa