NYC Appointment recap (long post)

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

NYC Appointment recap (long post)

Post by Drew927 »

Well, I had my long awaited appointment today and it was a success!! Let me start my recap by thanking all of you on this site for all your help, advice and sharing experiences. I am sure that this process would have taken much more time without all of you!
I arrived at the consulate at 10:20 for a 10:30 appointment. The guard looked at my passport and told me that my name was NOT on the list for today’s appointments. WHAT! (I screamed inside my head) Then calmly showed him a copy of my confirmation E- mail. He called upstairs and in I went to the second floor. Don’t forget to bring a copy of your e-mail.
I met with Tony, he was very nice and all business. I filled out a form he handed me and when I finished he began with my grandfather. I gave him his birth certificate, death certificate and marriage cert. He the asked for my grandmother’s birth certificate. He did not request her death certificate. He asked if my GF had naturalized (he did not) so I gave him the USCIS (with the proper line 4 verbiage thanks, Marie), NARA and 4 other county clerks letters of no records found. He accepted all of them while nodding approvingly. When he stapled all of this together I let out a sigh of relief. We moved on to my father’s birth, death and marriage cert.’s and he asked for a only a copy of my mothers birth cert. Everything was moving along smooth. My doc’s were next. Birth, marriage and again just a copy of my wife’s birth cert.
Could it be? Will I finish with just one visit? The only thing left was my two children’s birth certificates. I handed them over and damn there’s a problem. My daughter was born in California and it has to be sent to the LA Consulate for translation. My son was born in NY so no problems. He handed back her birth certificate and instructed me on what to do. He filled out a cover sheet and told me that once I get it done he will forward them all to the Comune di Napoli. He said it all looked very good and I can mail or hand deliver the birth certificate when I get it back. Tony was very thorough, he read every translation for accuracy.
The appointment lasted 45 minutes and I’m soooo relieved. I called the LA consulate when I got home and very nice women told me what I needed to include with my mailing ($10.90 and a return envelope). She will be expecting it and return it quickly.
I’m sipping a nice glass of Sangiovese, and my first toast was to all of you!

Drew
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Re: NYC Appointment recap (long post)

Post by rgaetano »

congrats on a successful appointment! i'm up in NY in 3 months, encouraging to hear your story, thanks for sharing.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Congrats!!! Just curious what did the consular worker look like? Did he have a mustache ? Or did he have an American sounding accent? Congrats again and why does your daughters birth certificate need to be translated by the la consulate?
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Congratulations. It sounds good. When are you moving to Naples?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Such good news!!! Congratulations to you and your family.

Good to know that NY is not a problem if all documents are in order. I too wonder why the birth certificate has to be translated in LA. I submitted documents from TX, MD, and CT and translated them all myself. I wonder if this is a new thing.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Dave, He was a middle aged man with a more american accent, no mustache. I'm still a bit confused as to why the LA consulate has to translate it but it must have something to do with jurisdiction.

Jennabet, The plan is to retire in Florence in about 8 years.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

ahh just trying to picture who you were dealing with. I got the chance to talk to 4 people there. he seemed very stern but was the most reassuring in the end and the most helpful. keep us posted on the LA consulate thing, that is so odd. I think half of us are getting are documents registered In Napoli. I wonder if they have a good turn around time because it is so common for them??

Congrats again,
Dave
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

At first I thought it was an authentification he was looking for. But when he mentioned a translation I showed him the one I had already. He said that this must come from the LA Consulate. He suggested I see the cashier downstairs about the cost and when I told the cashier i wanted a the cost of an Authentification he kept telling me it was a translation i needed. So he called Tony upstairs who confirmed it to be a translation. When I called the LA office today she knew exactly what I needed, a translation. So that is what I will get and move it along.
Drew
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

considering what you had to go through this is really good news! its odd but good that your last step is a small one. Did they happen to mention a turn around time? call you in 3-4 months etc?
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

No mention of turn around time because they have to wait for this final document to complete the package.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

Complimenti! :lol:
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

Drew. What great news! I am very happy to read that your appointment went well.

Thanks for the mention. :)

@Screaming:
When you first walk into the office, if you are standing at the door facing into the room. ... Tony is the desk that is facing the door and along side the room.

If you are still at the door facing in, the desk to your right (along side the wall where the door to enter is) is Emilio's desk. It seems his desk has moved since Sept. In Sept Emilio was sitting along the back of the room. Also Emilio has glasses and more hair than Tony.
musaccosteve
Veteran
Veteran

Post by musaccosteve »

Congratulations, Drew!!
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Does anybody know where Emilio comes from?

I dont think he was Calabrese!!