why would J show up in the name of a town?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

why would J show up in the name of a town?

Post by sceaminmonkey »

so I am taking italian and am told there is no J in the alphabet. However I see that the name of the comune di Lajatico does have a J. I remember hearing somethign about how dialects can use different writing systems etc but I want to be more clear on it and I am super curious. I know it is also accepted for foreign words but this place is in italy!! actually andrea bocelli so whats up with the J? whats the deal with a standard italian alphabet?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: why would J show up in the name of a town?

Post by Italysearcher »

I believe it is called an elongated i. It is also seen in surnames.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Further information on the letter "j" and "i"

From this site - page 5
http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/ ... tion_A.pdf
The letters J, K, W, X, and Y appear in the Italian alphabet, but are used mainly in
foreign words adopted into the Italian vocabulary. Examples: jazz, kilogramme, waterpolo,
xilofono, yacht. The letter j, as used in older texts, had an "i" sound and was
often used in place of a double i.
T.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

While the modern Italian alphabet has no letter j as used in native terms [the letter j does appear in dictionaries for archaic spellings and foreign and international terms officially adopted in Italian], years ago the letter long i was used in triphthongs or when the letter i was combined with other vowels to form one sound, e.g., proietto/projetto or gioiello/giojello or Boiano/Bojano. This sound is similar to the y in yellow or lawyer. The long i was sometimes used to denote this sound.
John Armellino